Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Front Brakes Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:56 PM
snyper81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes Rubbing

I am having an issue with the front brakes on my 2008 GC and hoping someone may be able to help solve.

Something is causing my front calipers to rub against the rotors.
I did a road test where I drove for 20 klms at 100klms per hour without using the brake for the whole distance, then coasted to a stop, got out and felt the alloy rims and the fronts were warm on both sides and rears were cool to the touch.

Brought it into the dealership and they confirmed by hoisting and trying to spin the wheels and were stiff. They squeezed the calipers in and said they were not seized and after doing that the front wheels spun freely. As soon as they applied the brakes and let off, they were stiff to spin again.

They were puzzled as to what could be causing this and suggested that maybe the issue is with the master cylyinder for the hydraulic unit. Before I start throwing big money on replacing these parts without knowing the root cause, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Old 04-18-2015, 06:33 PM
tjnc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't fix calipers, you use them as core for new ones and get rotors and cheap pads.. It's surprisingly not expensive to replace all that even for a tight budget. Pads:$17 pair, rotor:$11 each, caliper $48 with $30 core, $5 brake fluid, $4 bleeder kit, 20 minutes per wheel with no experience needed. Drums typically need a special tool.

They sale caliper rebuild kits for what a new caliper costs after core..

Old 04-21-2015, 01:02 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think a master cylinder issue is likely as the hydraulic lines route to diagonally opposite wheels and you report your issue is only with the front two. If you do have a hydraulic system issue it's more likely to be at the metering valve. But I think your issue is that the caliper slide pins and pad clips need to be greased. I have a hard time believing you would need to replace both front calipers at the same time but I suppose that's possible as well.

I should mention that it's not unusual for alloy wheels to be warm after driving, as long as they aren't burning hot.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:20 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Collapsed rubber line will cause this issue. Lets fluid to the calipers under pressure of braking, won't let the fluid back out once pressure is released, causing the caliper to stay applied.

I would find a new dealership if they don't know about this issue. It's very common on the vans.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Front Brakes Rubbing