Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1997 Grand Caravan rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 04:55 PM
Alexandra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Grand Caravan rough idle

So...yesterday I got my spark plugs, wires, and coil pack replaced, as my SES (Service Engine Soon) light had been flashing (once it started flashing like a turn signal light, it was not driven until a friend picked it up to get it fixed). Still, the engine wants to stumble at idle, like while I'm at a traffic light, though acceleration is fine, no hesitation.

Not two hours ago the SES light came back on (steady this time, no flashing), got the code checked at Advance Auto Parts, guy told me it indicated a number 3 misfire. I told him that I'd gotten all the plugs and things replaced yesterday and he said that I could be losing compression, or something might be wrong with the fuel injectors.

At idle, the RPM holds steady at about 600, no fluctuation.

*sigh*

For the record it's a 3.3L engine.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Alexandra; 04-25-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. A parts store employee that has a clue.

Triple check all plug/coil connections. As stated check compression and fuel injectors. Compression gauges and noid lights can be loaned out from most parts stores.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0303

Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Alexandra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now there's another issue--stalling while at idle. And I was turning a corner (had just let off on the gas pedal) today when it stalled, I put it into neutral, restarted it, and put it back into drive (it was still moving and going down a hill, so no way I was going to put it into park...and naturally there was someone behind me). And once in a while when I push on the gas it acts like it's not doing anything, then suddenly it'll surge forward, feels like I'm stopping suddenly.

Been trying to Google this problem and see what it could be. Maybe a fuel filter? Fuel injector?

Old 04-29-2015, 12:39 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would clean the throttle body and replace the Idle speed motor. Also remove the EGR tube and inspect for blockage.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1997 Grand Caravan rough idle