Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: anti theft? park sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:23 PM
mwb88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti theft? park sensor?

got a 97 grand. the ignition lock broke. I took out the cylinder and used a screwdriver for the last week thinking how cool I am to quick fix it for free.

today I drove it for work. delivery. got off work and it wouldn't crank. turns backwards and radio and stuff comes on. turns forward and steering wheel unlocks shifter moves. when I turn it forward it doesn't do anything.

so I went and grabbed a new cylinder. nothing. I noticed when I turned past the forward position it didn't turn much, the radio and everything cut of and I heard just a really faint whirring sound.

now I may just be imagining that it didn't turn forward much since there was no feed back from the starter.

so any info would be helpful. especially regarding the whole anti theft thing or maybe the park or neutral switch thingy. or if I ruined the ignition using the screwdriver? if so can I bypass the whole damn thing? I don't care if I have to hotwire it. im so broke. thanks

Old 04-26-2015, 04:17 PM
tjnc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

97 doesn't have the passive RFID chip in the key and the only security feature around the ignition mechanics is the steering lock. Check battery and check starter. Like most vehicles a single screw holds in the lock cylinder.

There isn't any anti-hotwire circuitry either not that it matters.

I've slide-hammered out lock cylinders in vehicles before and drove them a while.

Last edited by tjnc; 04-26-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: anti theft? park sensor?