Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: HELP - 339 Error code and traction control warning light 2009 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:34 AM
olliek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - 339 Error code and traction control warning light 2009 Grand Caravan

Hi all - I have searched the forum and found the following:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...ight-help.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...d-caravan.html

I had a similar problem with my GC. It started stuttering on the freeway onb Saturday on way to the weekend. On the way back the CEL and traction lights came on. I went to Autozone and they pulled the 339 code. When I left only the CEL stayed on. I was reading the above threads but now the guy I usually go for repairs to said he had the same problem with another car. He said he replaced the crank sensor which did not solve the problem. In the end he found that the flywheel was broken and he had to replace that. Which does not to seem to be a simple or easyrepair - imagine me pale and clutching my wallet. Anyone heard about something similar. Is there any way of checking prior to dismantling the transmission? I simply don't have money to throw at a part if it is not the problem. THANKS

Go to Page...

Last edited by olliek; 04-27-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:39 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi olliek,

I looked into this and the only TSB I found related to this was mentioned in one of the threads that you previously linked to. But the only TSB symptom involved is DTC P0339.

TSB 18-024-10

SUBJECT:
MIL Illumination Diagnostic Trouble Code P0339 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Intermittent Set

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves adding a shim to the crank sensor and verifying the condition has
been corrected and only if necessary, replacing the flexplate.

MODELS:
**2009 - 2010 (JC) Journey**
**2009 - 2010 (JS) Avenger/Sebring/Serbring Convertible**
**2009 - 2010 (JK) Wrangler**
2009 - **2010** (LC) Challenger
2008 - **2010** (LX) 300 / Magnum / Charger
2008 - **2010** (LE) 300C/300 Touring (International Markets)
2008 - 2009 (L2) 300 (China)
**2009 - 2010 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Voyager**

NOTE: This bulletin applies to models equipped with a 2.7L, 3.5L, 3.3L, 3.8L or 4.0L
engine (sales code EER, EGG, EGF, EGV, EGL or EGQ) and a automatic
transmission.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may complain of MIL illumination. No other symptoms will be noted or
experienced. Further investigation by the technician may find DTC P0339 - Crankshaft
Position Sensor Intermittent is set. It is possible that DTC's P0300 - Multiple Cylinder
Misfire and/or P1128 - Closed Loop Fueling Not Achieved - Bank 1 and/or P1129 - Closed
Loop Fueling Not Achieved - Bank 2 could be set along with P0339 - Crankshaft Position
Sensor Intermittent is set.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 AM
olliek

Thanks. The guy I go to did not have time to do anyting yesterday, and maybe for the rest of the week. Assuming worstcase and it is the flexplate, can I still drive the car, without making anything worse? Also, is a cracked flexplate a matter of bad luck or driving style/conditions/anything? Thanks!!!

Old 04-28-2015, 03:08 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I'm the OP from one of the threads you linked above. I think you should rule out a wire short in the crankshaft position sensor circuit before going after the flexplate. Both are expensive repairs and you don't want to pay for one only to find out you need the other. Plus depending on your mechanic if it's a wire short you may be able to get them to do an overlay for much cheaper than a main harness replacement.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 PM
olliek

Hi and thanks for the input. Just an update - 10 days later and we are still not closer to fixing this. Changed the crank sensor. Flexplate was not cracked, but replaced anyway. My guy started looking at wiring yesterday but didn't get very far. He is not here today, so I took the car home. The following occured:
Start the car - CILturns off but car runs rough - CIL comes back on but car runs noticeable smoother. First half of the drive home (about 2.5 miles in) the traction light comes back on and the car stats bucking a bit and runs rougher.

My guy is back tomorrow but if anyone has any idea, please chime in. He also suggested to get a new(used) computer and re-program it? Any input on that? or any ideas what else this could be would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Alex Wolf

in another thread someone said to check the ignition coil pack

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: HELP - 339 Error code and traction control warning light 2009 Grand Caravan