Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: A charade of problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:02 PM
cisnej01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A charade of problems

Basically car wont start:

2000 Dodge caravan was driving fine, just got it from a friend, then went to drive it and nothing happen, no starter action, no clicks, nothing. The dashboard lights came on, I shook the key, shook the automatic shifter, just to check for inconsistencies, but nothing changed. Turned on head lights, turned key, they didn't dim.

At the beginning the battery was a little low, but tried to jump it, did a poor job based on jumpers time avalibility, but it still didn't help.

We jumped to conclusions and after checking starter relay and female plugin, which read fine I think, went to the starter itself.

Took it off and hooked it directly to battery, it started just fine. However we tried to check the power to s. terminal and when we turned the key, we go no power exchange. We bypassed the ignition switch (terminal s I think) and got the car to start clicking, but by now the battery was reading 12.v. We hooked it up a friends car, only let them sit together for 1min, and car just continued to click, and click fast it did.

Now I feel like I'm zeroing in on the problem, thinking the ignition switch is the problem, but I have some issues. In trying to check the power from ignition switch to other faclilties, fuel pump, starter, etc. I can't find the group of wires to check. To further complicate things I found a odd switch (maybe kill switch?) underneath the steering wheel to the left. I don't know what it is or what it does. I don't really know what to do from here besides tare the dash up and look for any breaks in the ignition switch and **** with that odd switch some more.

Odd thing about that switch is when i flip it one way and turn the key, afterwards, it does some odd clicks. And when it is not switched, nothing happens. Eitherway, the car, unless we bypass the s terminal, does nothing except for dashboard lights.

I think thats it... fu*k

Old 05-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"after checking starter relay and female plugin, which read fine I think"

Are you seeing 12vdc at contacts 30 and 86 at the starter relay socket in the PDC with key at start? Power at pin 86 says your ignition switch is good. Power at pin 30 says the relay output contacts are getting power of the hot battery bus.

When you jump contacts 30 and 87 at the starter relay does the starter spin? (keys in your pocket) This bypasses the starter relay and sends power directly to the starter.

I would have the battery charged on an external charger then load tested (free at many parts stores). Try tracing the wires from that kill switch and find the wires they are spliced to then note the wire color ID of the wires.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-01-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:49 PM
cisnej01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery is dead now from all the messing around I've been doing, gonna go get it tested soon, but in the mean time...

Yes, saw the 12v there, but I will check again when battery issue is worked out.

Don't know how to jump contacts 30 and 87, but can look on youtube if you dont feel like explaining.

I traced the kill switch, which doesnt work I think, to the big red wire (probably battery wire) which goes into ignition. It is spliced together with it. Before the battery went to 4v (and then a bunch of clicking from hazard lights and interior fuze box/relay started happening, thats when I quit today) the red wire would read a consistent 11-12vs (which is why i assumed it be from the batery)

Again, the oddest part is nothing worked, and then when we exchanged the starter terminal wires with some of our own wires, we were able to spark them together to at least make it the starter fire...which is why its been hard to figure out whats going on.

Please and thank you for the help, trying to get this van going so I can drive across the canadian boarder to renew my vistors visa for canada, my fiance and kid live here, so its so important that I get it done quick, thanks again for any help. I feel like I'm fishing in the dark with the wrong end of the pole and the hook in my underpants.

Last edited by cisnej01; 05-01-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: A charade of problems