Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Help removing front hub/bearing mounting bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 02:13 PM
The Gaffer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help removing front hub/bearing mounting bolts

Ok, so in the process of changing out both of the front hub assemblies on my 2008 GC , I managed to get the 2 bottom mounting bolts off but the upper ones are a real PITA, cant get a socket or closed end wrench over and the open ended wrench is starting to round off the bolts and still no movement?? Is there a better tool for this or is a matter of removing the CV boot to get access to the bolt with a socket? Tried applying some heat to the bolts but no joy, anyone with any tips?

Old 05-20-2015, 11:14 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-26-2015, 11:32 AM
The Gaffer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved

Ok, thanks for your help on this one, finally got some time over the weekend to look at this.

Undid the axle nut and had to give it a healthy tap with my swing press (hammer) to free up the spindle, then pushed it back with my hand while I got the socket with the universal on each of the bolts. Once I got them off the assembly was still stuck solid with rust, so had to check out a few techniques on YouTube to free it up. Ended up knocking one of the lug bolts out, putting in a big bolt with a nut behind the old hub and tightening it against the steering knuckle in a few spots to pop it off. Cleaned up the inside of housing with a wire brush and some lube and the new assembly snugged in nicely with the mounting bolts. I went with Timken ones so hopefully they will last a little while, thanks

Last edited by The Gaffer; 05-26-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Help removing front hub/bearing mounting bolts