Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: fan blower, resistor

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 03:12 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan blower, resistor

need advise on a/c blower motor. fan works when directly jumping from hot on the harness dark blue wire from the resistor (a/c manual control) to the green hot wire to fan.

i also used test light to see if the light would go on and off when changing speeds on the fan control while probing the different lines on the resistor. the test light would go on and off as i turned the speeds off and then on.

i am under the impression if the resistor is bad i would still get the fan to stay on high speed. i don't. i only get fan working when directly jumping it.

maybe the cabin filter not being changed in ages made resistor work to much and burned it out.

has anyone got no speeds on the fan selector, even high and still fan did not work and yet be resistor? thanks for helping.

how to i test amps from fan to see if drawing to much. i don't have the claw type but a setting on the volt meter for amps. just don't want to burn something out without knowing how to test the amps.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:16 PM
mirageman
Professional

I'd be very wary of picking and checking anything other than simple 12 volts, but that's just me. I have like 8 free harbor freight voltmeters and they all give different readings, I can only trust them for telling me if something is live or not! He he. Don't short out your BCM....get the manual. Here.....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-2007_1299.zip

This cost me $7.77 or something like that on ebay a couple months ago. It is like 180 megabytes. I had no idea my purchased link still worked. I don't know any more, it's just there! Some on the internet say dropboxusercontent.com is a bad site, viruses or whatever. I cannot attest to the safety of their site. I can only tell you that once you click on the link or perhaps copy and paste the link to your browser, it will start downloading immediately. Scan that downloaded file with your antivirus, and make a few copies so you'll be sure to have it. If you're really worried, scan your entire computer afterwards. I have an updated Norton antivirus that continuously monitors and it tells me the download is safe. I have used this exact link just now to download the manual, it is invaluable. "RG-SM" is the factory service manual. In it you can click on the table of contents page to any topic and it will bring you to that page. If you're unsure, just don't use a computer that you have all your important stuff on, but still...just scan the download with your antivirus.....I've done it just now before posting this, no virus........you're welcome!!! Maybe a mod can sticky this. It will save a LOT of Q and A time between members. All new questions will have responses that instruct them to see the sticky!....hehehe!

Last edited by mirageman; 05-30-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:07 PM
scotter5
Veteran

thanks for your response and info about manual.

06 manual control a/c. Info for someone who maybe needing to know in future. there is one blower motor relay, a 40 amp and 25 amp fuse in the fuse box under hood for front blower motor.

secondly--often people will say that the high speed will always work because it is wired directly to the fan, well that wasn't the case for me. believing that made me believe it was my fan that was at fault. so avoided getting a a/c resistor.

I hot wired my fan directly and realized the fan was working. i ran a test light to resistor also and probed each of the lines going into resistor and found i could turn light off with the fan speed controller.

fuses were bad because i got hot the fan and resistor. therefore i replaced a resistor today, and cabin air filter (didn't change in years) hoping that would prevent failure of resistor in future.

finally there is a smell like glue melting after i installed resistor bought and installed and now i have fan speed control. Tip: read about the smell online reviews from purchasers of resistor. 90% of time in reviews they said they to got the smell and not to be concerned because it goes away after few hours of running it. so thats the story.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always recommend replacing the blower motor as well when the resistor blows. It usually has corroded bushing in it causing a higher current flow when starting. That is what eventually blows the resistor. The new resistors that Mopar sells have a higher rated thermal fuse so instead of blowing the resistor, the connector melts first. Now you have to replace the resistor and the connector. Just sayin.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:42 AM
scotter5
Veteran

thanks tizzy for response. i replaced it yesterday, not the mopar. but thanks for the info on the thermal. i hope this stays awhile. i can understand what u mean by the motor resistance. sure hope it doesn't burn out. that back screw on the fan right side was really difficult to get to, really.

i started fooling around with it but didn't remove it because didn't take fan out, just wanted to see how difficult it was if i tackled it. i spend 45 mins on that screw and still get it out.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: fan blower, resistor