Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Dodge Caravan Harsh Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:51 PM
v001989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dodge Caravan Harsh Downshifting

Please help. I just bought a used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan in Feb 2015 with 134k miles on it. It is now June 2015 and I have about 139k miles. I've been having issues with downshifting, but it doesn't happen every time I drive. Its not a certain scenario in which the problems occur, it could happen as soon as I pull out the driveway, or if I've been driving for a while. It is starting to happen more often now. I'm afraid that something is breaking and I will end up stranded somewhere with a van full of kids.

My problem is my van downshifts very hard. It kicks once it hits about 20 mph then shutters when it gets to 10 mph. If I don't kick it into neutral when I come to a complete stop it will cut off, but it doesn't happen all the time.

It has been doing this since I bought the car. I took it to my local repair person and of course it didn't do it for them, so I was sent home. Just for it to happen as I was pulling on my block. So for the last few months, I have been driving it like this, kicking it into neutral to avoid the shut off whenever the problem arose.

Now the car is getting caught in second gear (or third, I don't know which one) It happens when I slow down to around 30mph. It kicks hard then its stuck. The RPMs increase as I try to increase my speed. Like if I'm going 30mph the RPMs are at 3 and at 40mph the RPMs are at 4. I have to pullover, turn the car off, then turn it on again. Sometimes this fixes it, sometimes it doesn't.

Most recently, the van did this and when it kicked during the down speed the check engine light came on. It has since went off. I don't know what is going on. I have done some searching on the internet. I've seen a few problems similar but not quite what I am experiencing.

Other than this issue the van runs pretty ok. I've the Y connector to the rear aux heating system and a connecting hose replaced since and regular oil changes since I bought the vehicle. The mechanic also stated that it has the original wires and spark plugs are still on the vehicle, but he tested them and they are firing just fine.

Any suggestions? I would just like some type of insight before I go to an official Dodge Dealership. I don't want to get messed around.

So far I've gathered from internet reading it may be:
Faulty TIPMS
Transmission Speed Control may need to replaced
A reprogramming of the PCM maybe needed ( Service Bulletin 21-017-08 REV A.)

Also, can the local auto parts store (Auto Zone, O'Reillys, Advanced Auto) pull the codes from the check engine light if the light is off or do I have to wait until it pops on again>

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 PM
v001989
Default Update

I went to O'Reillys and the pulled the code P084A. The 4 people their said they never seen that code before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:07 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P084A - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "H" Circuit

Not the exact same code but in the ball park:
http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/91bx...es-coming.html

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-03-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:54 AM
v001989

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Cougar41
P084A - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "H" Circuit

Not the exact same code but in the ball park:
http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/91bx...es-coming.html

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Dodge Caravan Harsh Downshifting