Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Engine temp higher after coolant leak fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:44 PM
slipperypete
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine temp higher after coolant leak fix

Howdy - I fixed a coolant leak and filled the reservoir almost to the max level. Everything went fine until I drove it after I was done. The temperature kept climbing until it almost reached the red line. I shut it down and let it cool off a while. After I started it and drove it back towards home the temp stayed just a bit higher than normal. Should I be worried the temp is now higher than it was? The needle used to be just below the mid line. Now it's one mark above.
I didn't drain and flush the old coolant. I just added about a half gallon of new stuff to the old.
Thanks for any advice!

Old 06-11-2015, 02:26 AM
tjnc
Professional

You don't top off aged coolant with aluminum heads and/or blocks.. Mixing formulas also causes thermal behavior changes..

You flush, put in new thermostat and 50/50 HOAT coolant($30.00 for both), and pray it's not the AC or water pump which are stuffed up in the bay with 2.3" of work space..

You can also just let "Cooling System Electrolysis Corrosion" happen by doing what you're doing or letting mechanics "good 'ol boy" it with whatever coolant they have, and pay thousands for a rebuild or transplant in about a year..

Old 06-11-2015, 06:38 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only filled at the reservoir and didn't pull the rad cap to fill the radiator directly, that is where you went wrong. If you did fill the rad directly, it's possible your thermostat is bad.

Also factors like coolant age/condition and the ratio of water to antifreeze can affect where the temperature needle stays. If it's only one tick mark above midway it's not the end of the world. But I do agree 100% that if you know your coolant is old, flush the whole system and refill only with HOAT.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You have a massive air pocket.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:40 AM
slipperypete
Amateur

Thanks for the replies! I will drain, flush, and fill it this weekend. I needed to get it working again because today we bring it to the dealer for the R03 recall. Good luck!

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Engine temp higher after coolant leak fix