Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Is a TCM relearn necessary?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:21 AM
HardShift
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a TCM relearn necessary?

I just installed a new remanufactured 41TE transmission into my 2000 Dodge caravan three weeks ago because the old one was slipping. I drove it for 500 miles already and there are still some bump shifts when I am shifting gears. The shifts from 1-2, 2-3 and 3-2, and 2-1 are sometimes smooth and sometimes rough. By rough, I mean the van shakes a bit when it is shifting into those gears. For 3-4 and 4-3, the bump shift is always present. When I reverse up a hill, the van shakes like crazy and it feels like there is no power in reverse, but I still manage to get the van where it needs to go.

My question are: How long do I have to drive the van in order for the TCM to relearn itself? How much damage am I doing when there is a slight bump in the transmission when it is shifting? Will it fix my problem with weak reverse?

Also, the dealer won't touch anything before 2002 so I can't bring it to them for the relearn.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you replace the torque converter as well ?

You also should have replaced the trans cooler. At least paid someone to flush it out.

Originally Posted by HardShift

Also, the dealer won't touch anything before 2002 so I can't bring it to them for the relearn.

That's something we just implemented also. I hate it, but its too much liability these days. One could argue that the reman trans was worth more than the van. Maybe just cut your losses and save up for a newer model "beater" van.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-11-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:48 AM
HardShift

Originally Posted by TNtech
Did you replace the torque converter as well ?

You also should have replaced the trans cooler. At least paid someone to flush it out.

That's something we just implemented also. I hate it, but its too much liability these days. One could argue that the reman trans was worth more than the van. Maybe just cut your losses and save up for a newer model "beater" van.

It has a new torque converter and new cooler/cooler lines. I'm trying to keep the van as long as I can because I did a major overhaul (changed radiator, struts, plugs and wires, valve cover gaskets, and a bunch of other stuff) while I was swapping the transmission.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:15 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

It has a new torque converter and new cooler/cooler lines. I'm trying to keep the van as long as I can because I did a major overhaul (changed radiator, struts, plugs and wires, valve cover gaskets, and a bunch of other stuff) while I was swapping the transmission.

If that's the case then the first thing I would do is have the TCM scanned for codes. Start there.

Did it have a new solenoid pack on it? (the rectangle connector on the front)

Old 06-11-2015, 11:08 AM
HardShift

Originally Posted by TNtech
If that's the case then the first thing I would do is have the TCM scanned for codes. Start there.

Did it have a new solenoid pack on it? (the rectangle connector on the front)
Yes. Do I need a DBRIII to scan TCM codes or a regular high end scan tool should work? I used the regular OBDII scan tools and it does not show any codes.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:37 PM
tjnc
Professional

I'll be honest about what I do these days: When I have the trans or engine going I just go buy another 4th gen for about a 800 more than I'd pay for a re-manufactured block or trans from a parts house.. That costs figure is where I did all the labor myself.

The reason why is because when I use to think I was getting away with something by spending $400 for a 90k-180k mile trans or pulled engine, and spending a week getting the swap done in my driveway, I almost always got junk from dishonest warehouse owners and classifieds. If you're going to go buy a good unit from NAPA or another parts house cost and time considered you might as well hand the problem off to a knowing buyer since the cost isn't far enough below the price of another used van which with 4th gen can actually get a good body and decent miles..

Old 06-12-2015, 12:27 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tjnc
I'll be honest about what I do these days: When I have the trans or engine going I just go buy another 4th gen for about a 800 more than I'd pay for a re-manufactured block or trans from a parts house.. That costs figure is where I did all the labor myself.

The reason why is because when I use to think I was getting away with something by spending $400 for a 90k-180k mile trans or pulled engine, and spending a week getting the swap done in my driveway, I almost always got junk from dishonest warehouse owners and classifieds. If you're going to go buy a good unit from NAPA or another parts house cost and time considered you might as well hand the problem off to a knowing buyer since the cost isn't far enough below the price of another used van which with 4th gen can actually get a good body and decent miles..
That's all well and good, until the "new" van you buy ends up needing more work then the one you sold.
Now not only did you buy another van, but you still have to fix it, doesn't make much sense.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by smokesxt
That's all well and good, until the "new" van you buy ends up needing more work then the one you sold.
Now not only did you buy another van, but you still have to fix it, doesn't make much sense.
It does actually. That $1,200 trans is going to go 200k under close to ideal conditions, but the engine is going to need rings or bearings or heads or you'll get some electrical issue around PCM maybe in probably around a third of that time/mileage. If you don't wreck it. All those jobs each are also thousands in labor, or days to weeks in labor plus install materials costs.

The only place where I'd actually stick to that strategy is if it was a loaded very clean SXT or SXT AWD 4th gen on bought low.. Maybe a Sport too if it had good options like rack, all disc brakes, oil and trans cooler, and the dark dark blue or grays for color. Any rough spots on body might as well ditch it..

Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes. Do I need a DBRIII to scan TCM codes or a regular high end scan tool should work? I used the regular OBDII scan tools and it does not show any codes.

Most good shops will have one capable of looking at TCM. Cheaper generic ones typically won't go anywhere but Engine/Emissions. If there are ANY old electrical parts you had to use from your old one, I would scrutinize them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Is a TCM relearn necessary?