Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:57 PM
grpch75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission question

I have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, 3.3L V6 with 223,000 miles. The transmission went out in March and it sat for about 2 months while I searched and located a transmission to be installed. Due to a limited budget, I settled for a used transmission and had it installed. We reset the computer and it ran fine for a couple of days, then it started not shifting. I checked the transmission fluid and it was fine. I unplugged the battery for 30 minutes and let it reset the computer. It ran like a dream except for some cutting out which I assumed was because of the old gas. When the tranny went out, it had almost a full tank. I am down to less than half a tank of gas and it is still cutting out but this afternoon on the way home, it kept dying when I would slow down to turn and then it stopped shifting again. Is there something I need to check to get this straightened out? I used some MAF spray to try to help with it cutting out, but am not sure where to go to from here. Can someone give me some ideas please?

Old 09-20-2015, 05:49 PM
grpch75

Still having shifting issues. After taking the van to have a scanner put on it, it only showed one code for the transmission control solenoid. Took some time to get it replaced, but completed the work and took van out for test drive, van still will not shift. It is still in limp mode. Should I change out the input and output speed sensors?

Old 09-21-2015, 08:24 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So many questions. What was wrong with the original tranny? Do you know for certain the used tranny was running well? If yes to that; you worte that you "had" it installed - was there not some warranty from whoever did the work? Did the used tranny come from an '01? Was the tranny refilled with ATF+4? I'll hold off on other questions but will just add that wiring and connectors are just as likely to be problems as the parts themselves. You should try reading the TCM for codes and CVIs before hanging on any more parts.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:04 PM
grpch75

The original transmission failed and was recommended it be replaced. Since I am on a very limited income, I purchased a used 01 transmission and my brother in law installed it, so no there is no warranty. It was shifting fine for about a week before it stopped shifting. However, after consulting with AAMCO transmission, we reset the computer and it actually was running fine for about a month. Then it stopped shifting again. They performed the scan and told me what part to purchase and my son in law installed the solenoid. We refilled it with ATF recommended for Dodge vehicles and also replaced the coolant. My son in law rechecked the installation and said it looked solid. I will be taking to to be put back on the scanner tomorrow after work. Thank you for your reply. I will repost when I have the codes.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: transmission question