Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Stow-and-Go went and snapped

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 PM
austrianEconomist
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stow-and-Go went and snapped

Running the rear seat through its automated retract and stow sequence, and something stuck. (might have got bound up were it pivots at). We haven't had this van very long. Only the 2nd time using the seat and it broke.
The hinge twisted and broke. Then it just stayed in its half-way position of not being up or down.
I was able to pull the pin latch through the steel cable to release and fold back down (manually) into the floor.
But the seat back won't go up (or down).
I pulled the seat back off and there is a drive shaft that has a gear on each side (so no 'quick release' to manually retract or set position for back upright).
There is a motor that directly drives that shaft, and it has a 4-wire harness going to it. I found +12vdc on one of the smaller gauge wires and -12vdc. (like 18gauge) But, I would assume (for lack of documentation) that the larger wires (look like 14 gauge) would carry the work load. But there is no power there. (so relay probably off because it doesn't think seat is up to be opened..so some feedback circuit needs closed somewhere on the seat).
I just want to get the seat upright until I can replace those broken brackets. So either I need to close that feedback loop -or- just run 12vdc to the motor to drive the seat back manually.
Anyone have a wire diagram for that? I can order a Mopar service manual, but I won't have it by tomorrow morning (need seat up by 7am).
I don't know if TechAuthority would have what I want.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:32 AM
austrianEconomist
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured it out on my own.
I disconnected the connector in the picture.
Used a jump-pack (portable car jump starter) connected to a pair of multimeter leads (so to have a smaller contact point).
-12vdc to the blue wire and +12vdc to the green wire.
It runs the seat back to upright position until wires are disconnected (or it will keep going and lay the back all the way ).
So seats are back in place and upright. I still have to yank those brackets and repair/replace them.
Or was there a recall on any of the stow-and-go seats?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Stow-and-Go went and snapped