Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Another mystery noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:04 AM
jv06512
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another mystery noise

My '08 Grand Caravan has started making an intermittent, low-pitched, growling noise that grows in intensity to where it reminds me of being in a B-24. Does it most often at around 40-45 mph. Tech couldn't make it happen when I left it, but next day, it happened almost constantly in that speed range - until I stopped into garage and he went with me to hear. Of course it didn't appear until we were almost back at the garage. He couldn't guess at what it might be though. Tapping breaks while making noise doesn't seem to affect, but slowing to below 40 mph or accelerating to above 50 did make it go away (at least on that day). Van has about 95,000 miles on it. Any suggestions as to what might be cause? Have to take van on trip (about 1100 miles each way) soon and worried about possible breakdown enroute.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:09 AM
gnichols700
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing

Originally Posted by jv06512
My '08 Grand Caravan has started making an intermittent, low-pitched, growling noise that grows in intensity to where it reminds me of being in a B-24. Does it most often at around 40-45 mph. Tech couldn't make it happen when I left it, but next day, it happened almost constantly in that speed range - until I stopped into garage and he went with me to hear. Of course it didn't appear until we were almost back at the garage. He couldn't guess at what it might be though. Tapping breaks while making noise doesn't seem to affect, but slowing to below 40 mph or accelerating to above 50 did make it go away (at least on that day). Van has about 95,000 miles on it. Any suggestions as to what might be cause? Have to take van on trip (about 1100 miles each way) soon and worried about possible breakdown enroute.
Easy enough to change out wheel bearing hub if you have moderate mechanical skills and a few tools. Check youtube. Wheel bearing hub assembly... bolts on.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Another mystery noise