Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2001 GC Sport front disc brake caliper slide pins rattling again

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:57 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 GC Sport front disc brake caliper slide pins rattling again

I posted back on 12-09-2013 about this problem. What I had found at 143k is that the caliper slide pin bolts (5019987AA kit) were missing a black rubber sleeve that goes on one of the caliper slide pin bolts. It was removed by the Firestone Tech. So after they installed new slide pin bolts and sleeves the rattle was gone. At 150K the rattle came back so I went ahead and installed a new set again and and lubed them up with Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Lubricant (High Heat Purple), the rattle was gone. Now it's back again at 153k, and it's probably the same thing? What I'm thinking is either I'm not putting enough lube on the pins (but I thought I did), or it's just not thick enough for the application, or maybe the caliper holes that the sleeve goes into is just worn out to much so after the lube moves around it doesn't take up enough space? Any thoughts? Anyone had this same problem? If so what lubricant did you use and what did you do to solve this problem?

Note: the replacement caliper slide bolts in both case were not the factory bolt kits, but aftermarket types from Oreillys.

Thanks

Last edited by riverjamie; 06-29-2015 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Changed some wording

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2001 GC Sport front disc brake caliper slide pins rattling again