Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 04:08 PM
yadogdurbinfamily
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Hello,
THE HORN DOES NOT SOUND WHEN PRESSED!!
We checked the horn membrane it works, horn fuse works, horn relay works, horn works,the cruise control system works and the clockspring may be ok but it is loose or sloppy. Any ideas what to check into next? We would like to know where the X3 and X2 circuits are located? Any diagrams? Thanks.
E.D.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can we take for granted the horn won't blow by pressing the horn pad OR locking the van with a remote key fob?

Have you jump pin 30 and 87 at the relay socket to see if the horn will sound?

Send me an email address to send the diagram to in a private message. How? Click Cougar41 at left.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 PM
yadogdurbinfamily

Yes, the horn doesn't work if we press the horn pad or locking the van with a remote key fob. I can confirm that the horn pad does work, because a multimeter registers resistance in the wires from the switch membrane to the connector that connects to the clockspring. The remote key fob does lock/unlock the van.

Yes, a jump wire between 30 and 87 of the horn relay does cause the horn to sound, which to me makes me think that the circuit from the relay to the horn is okay.

It seems that somehow the relay is not energizing, either with a failure from the clockspring to the Front Power Module or from the FPM to the relay itself. I have tested that the relay is not faulty and the fuse is intact. I also replaced the clockspring, so a broken connection in there is not the issue.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. Sounds like a bad FCM. Might try removing and check the connection for any damage or corrosion. You could check for continuity from pin 17 of the FCM connector to ground with the horn pad depressed. That will check the wiring from the FCM through IPM, clockspring, pad switch and the ground at G203. Then you could do the same from pin 10 at the FCM to pin 85 at the horn relay. That would eliminate the rest of the wiring to and from the FCM.

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-11-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:14 PM
yadogdurbinfamily
Smile Problem Solved - Horn Won't Work

After checking all wiring from both ends of the circuits with diagram available on-line, narrowed the issue down to bad circuit on the fuse box (version 2003 to 2005). Ordered one on line, and we're back in business. Thanks for the help.

The next version fuse box (later 2005) although they eliminated the fuse for the window washing, turned out to operate just fine returning the horn to operation and all other features worked fine. Re-installed the exiting van FCM on the new (used) fuse box, turned key on and off a couple of times to recognize the FCM (did not really seem to need this from initial attempt). Everything is bakc in operation.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:19 PM
MetalMom2002

Just replaced PCM in 2005 Grand Caravan. Does not start, crank, anything. The lights come on, locks work, etc. but the engine will not start.

The PCM came from CarComputerExchange. I double checked my VIN, mileage, etc.

I was reading about SKIM programming and if I had a grey key, which I don't. Could CarComputerExchange programmed the computer as if I had SKIM? That's the only thing I have been able to come up with.

Any Ideas?

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan