Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: power failure in a 2005 Caravan

Old 09-18-2015, 07:31 PM
fpelka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power failure in a 2005 Caravan

I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan. On two occasions I've been tooling along when suddenly I seem to lose all power: all dashboard lights, power steering, power brakes, lights and turn signals, the whole smash. Both times I was--luckily--in slow traffic and able to get to the side of the road. Parked, turned it off, turned it on, and all was fine.

I took it into the dealership, and they said it was a short in the anti-lock mechanism of the anti-lock brakes, which was drawing power away from everything else. I had this repaired, picked up the van last week.

Now I hear there is a recall on Caravans exhibiting just the sort of problem I encountered, but it has to do with the ignition, not the brakes. I don't think the recall extends all the way back to 2005, but I'd hate to be the accident that causes the recall to be extended.

Any advice on what to do with this? Thanks.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's the recall I'm thinking of it's for some 5th generation 08-15 minivans. Your is a 4th generation (01-07) van so it doesn't apply. They use a whole different type of ignition. Enjoy your van.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: power failure in a 2005 Caravan