Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Looking to become a first time Grand Caravan owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 11:07 AM
Micah Vanella
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to become a first time Grand Caravan owner

Hello everyone,

My wife and I just had our 2nd kid and I have been looking into larger vehicles. We plan to continue expanding the family with at least one more child so we know we will need something more than just a 2 row vehicle with all of the car seats and booster seats. After doing a lot of research I determined that for the money the Grand Caravan is the way to go.

The necessities are the stow and go seating in both back rows and rear AC/Heat. We also would love to have a power lift gate and remote sliding doors on the key fob.

I have been looking at newer models (2011 and up) and most of that seems to be standard except for the 2nd row bucket seats. I just found a good price on a 2009 SE but the dealer doesn't have any pictures up. I don't think it has the power lift gate or the remote sliding door. Did those come standard back in 2009? Can those be installed without too much cost?

Thanks for the information.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:37 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hate to bear bad news here.
1. Stow and Go seating is very uncomfortable.
2. The 6-speed autos were/are very problematic.
3. Fuel economy sucks.

I thought about buying a new/newer van, after driving/riding in a couple, I started looking older. I ended up with a 95 Voyager sport. I average 24mpg and it rides very nice regardless of where you're sitting.
The seats fold down, or remove completely offering plenty of room to haul whatever I feel the need for.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:08 AM
EdgarSuit
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the community!

We're replacing our 2010 SE (3.3, 4-speed) with a 2016 SXT. Our SE has alloys, Nav & power DS but doesn't have power doors or liftgate. Therefore, I assume that in 2009 power liftgate/doors couldn't be standard on the SE. Our trip computer AVG Econ. varies between 21 and 27 mpg depending on who's been driving. I believe our overall avg is actually around 23 mpg as my wife drives (speeds in) it more than I do.

To answer a part of your question specifically, here's a list of oem replacement liftgate parts:

You'll note that the prices for the power liftgate parts are markedly higher. especially the lock actuator ($90 vs $262!). The power liftgate also uses different cylinders (gas struts) and it would require replacing & programming the keyfobs.

also, on the power liftgate equipped models, the motor and shock look like this, note the upper left where the motor & lift support are located

which is different from non equipped models that have no accommodation for the motor and lift arm

You may be able to find, in a junkyard, a wrecked 2009 that has the options and strip the parts and install them on yours. but that"s a lot of time and trouble. AND after all that you might have to replace or reflash your BCM (body control module) to ensure the proper power and signals are being sent.... so could you add power doors and lift gate

No, if those options are important then you should make sure the van you purchase has the options you need.

As to the stow and go seating, i'm 5'9" and i have sat in the back for 30 - 40 minutes at a time. we haven't any children yet and have only put adults in the back of ours (friends, family, clients) and never received complaints of discomfort. I'm sure that your kids will be just fine in the back. I absolutely agree with Smoke, we drop the stow n go seats in the floor and treat it like a truck sometimes, hauling bikes, lumber, plants etc. and that part is great.

Having the Stow n Go means never have to lift, store your 2nd and 3rd rows or come across unexpected cargo and wish you didn't have them with you (or that you did.

Best of Luck with your search!

Last edited by jkeaton; 04-04-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: removed dead link
The following users liked this post:
bilo1432 (06-13-2022)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:38 AM
Taxilady88

I owned a 2005 Grand Caravan for 7 years, and ran it as a taxi. Loved it better than the Crown Vic I HAD been driving. So, when it came time to get a newer van, I had the money so I did not have to finance it. I purchased a 2013. Love it...doors and lift gate are automatic, seats are comfy...sto n go. The only problem so far is the fact that so many parts are Dealership ONLY! That includes the Anti-freeze. If the vehicle has RED anti-freeze you have to buy it from the dealer or completely flush the system and buy OTC anti-freeze. Never heard of getting Anti-freeze from a DEALERSHIP. I needed ONE small part of a system, but could I buy JUST the part? NO..Had to buy the WHOLE KIT for almost $200! Not happy with Dodge today! Might want to check into parts and problems on line before buying ANY vehicle. I thought I had done a good search, but apparently NOT!

Old 04-04-2016, 10:27 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

lol....amazing what people gripe and complain about these days.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:35 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with the stow-n-go has been very positive. I think you would be happy with or without the stow-n-go, as long as it has rear AC.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:21 AM
04 Quadcab
Rookie

Originally Posted by smokesxt
Hate to bear bad news here.
1. Stow and Go seating is very uncomfortable.
2. The 6-speed autos were/are very problematic.
3. Fuel economy sucks.

I thought about buying a new/newer van, after driving/riding in a couple, I started looking older. I ended up with a 95 Voyager sport. I average 24mpg and it rides very nice regardless of where you're sitting.
The seats fold down, or remove completely offering plenty of room to haul whatever I feel the need for.
I don't agree that the stow & go seats are "very uncomfortable". True, they aren't exactly luxurious, but I've ridden in some new cars (notably the rear seat of the Dart) that are much worse. Never had a passenger complain, even on long drives.
I do agree on the 6 speed tranny- it's a POS
I average over 26 mpg at 70+ on my 2013, and I've seen a lot of others post similar or even higher figures. I always calculate manually by miles traveled divided by gallons to fill; the dashboard meter is horribly optimistic, showing 2-3 mpg more than the manual calculation.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Looking to become a first time Grand Caravan owner