Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: '02 Caravan Wont Crank -- IPM Fuse Box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 10:04 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question '02 Caravan Wont Crank -- IPM Fuse Box?

The vehicle was working just fine until I recently disconnected my IPM Fuse Box for a closer inspection but then re-connected it back. Now when i go to START the engine there is no cranking whatsoever. I can hear a click coming from the fuse box.

Within the cabin when i turn the key to ON everything appears to operate fine -- lights, power windows, horn, radio, headlights, wipers. No issues at all. It is just the car wont crank.

The car battery is fully topped up.

What do you suggest i do to track down the problem? Is there a particular tiny wire beneath the IPM fuse box i may have neglected to connect? I do have a multimeter

Thanks

Last edited by quantass; 09-27-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Starter is fed by a 40a fuse in position 9. It goes to the starter at pin 2 of the C4 connector on the bottom. It is the blue connector. The wire is yellow with a grey tracer.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:14 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Starter is fed by a 40a fuse in position 9. It goes to the starter at pin 2 of the C4 connector on the bottom. It is the blue connector. The wire is yellow with a grey tracer.
Thank you Tizzy1. I will check this. One thing. Often i hear people quote fuse positions with #s. Where exactly are you looking to know that the 40a fuse is a Position #9? My IPM Fuse Box shows no position #s. Is there some diagram you are referring to? I want to be sure to inspect the correct fuse you mention.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tizzy1 is probably looking at a wire diagram of the start system. I've found, at least on the wire diagrams I see, they will identify fuses by a location number on the fuse panel and not by the system the fuse protects such as "wipers" or "headlights" as they do on the fuse box lid. So now what? Not sure about an 02 manual specifically but many owners manuals have a chart listing IPM fuse functions and a location number. Look for fuse #9 on the chart and it should indicate "engine starter" or similar. So now you go to the fuse box lid and find the fuse labeled "engine starter".

It took three rewrites and ten minutes to type this. This labeling mismatch confuses many.

BTW - Would you like the diagram? Send me an email address to send it to via a private message.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-29-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuse 9 is the 40a cartridge fuse between the starter relay and the accessory relay

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: '02 Caravan Wont Crank -- IPM Fuse Box?