Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Van won't start no noise I'm at my wits end

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:42 PM
jh3463
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Van won't start no noise I'm at my wits end

Hello all. I am having trouble with my 2000 Grand Caravan. It was running great. I drove it to work and when I got back into it after 10 hours, it would not start. I turn the key and it has full power to lights, radio, dash, ect and I hear the fuel pump wind up but there is no turn over. Nothing, no sound from the engine at all. I've changed the starter (I suspected the Solenoid was bad), I've replaced the starter relay with a new one, I've checked and cleaned all the fuses under the dash and inside the engine (none were blown) and I've made sure the battery is fully charged. The only thing I haven't done is replace the connector for the starter (the one that comes out the large bundle of wires that is in the way when loosening the starter bolts). I'm not sure what else to try. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Old 10-02-2015, 01:23 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's two completely separate circuits in the starting system. The power circuit from the battery to the starter and the control circuit from the ignition switch and PCM to the coil in the starter relay. The relay connects the two.

Try bypassing the starter relay. Remove it then jump contacts 30 and 87 on the empty socket with a piece of wire. Starter should spin immediately. No keys needed. This verifies the first half of the circuit is good.

If that's good check for power at contact 86 on the relay socket with the ignition turned to start. If you have power the ignition switch is good. "But my lights work when the key is turned". They use different switch contacts.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-02-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:15 PM
jh3463

Sorry for the delay but I worked Saturday and Sunday at the fire house and got 3 hours of sleep. Monday I had to sleep most of the day (I'm not as young as I used to be) so I didn't get back to the van until today. I checked the asd and starter relays for power and grounds. Because of my skill level, I only hope I did it correctly because they appeared to be good. On a whim (I get those once in a while) I removed the starter switch from the steering column. I plugged all the connectors back into it (my intention was to check for power to the switch) and used a screwdriver to move the actuator (I assume that is what the point where the metal rod enters the switch is called). The van fired right up and ran smoothly. I shut the van down again and manipulated the actuator again. Again it fired right up. Its a new lock cylinder so what does this tell me? Is there a piece in the steering neck that I should be looking at now? I'm soooo confused.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:32 PM
jh3463

Update. I attached the ignition switch back to the steering column and reinstalled the lock cylinder and tried to start the car again. This time I get a rapid clicking from the asd relay. Does this mean that my lock cylinder is bad or is it something else altogether?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:44 PM
jh3463

Another update: I took the lock cylinder out again and attempted to start the van with a screwdriver. Well it starts every time. I assume that means that the lock cylinder I just replaced was not the correct one for the van. I noticed that there is a piece on the back side of the cylinder that should poke out when the key is turned (the old one did) but on this cylinder it does not. I will attempt to purchase another lock cylinder and try again. At least I can use my van again. Thank you to everyone who tried to help. It was very much appreciated.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:45 PM
jh3463

I spoke too soon. Yes the van is running now but when I pulled it out of my driveway, it's running very rough. It's usually a smooth ride. I was wondering if the starter that I replaced before, could have something to do with it? I plan on pulling it back off and trying to reseat but what should I look for? I mean, I know the belt is right there but is there a way to insure I get the teeth lined up correctly? thanks for your help again. Sorry to be so needy.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Van won't start no noise I'm at my wits end