Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: gear shift lever stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:25 PM
georgi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear shift lever stuck in park

After several times of pumping on the brake pedal the gear went out of park position. It makes this failure from time to time on flat surface.
At transmission shop advised to replace an interlock switch under the brake pedal.
What is the name of the part?
I tried Brake shift interlock switch, shift gear lever switch, safety neutral interlock switch (it’s location is different) checked online in stores on switches – no luck.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Model years? Switch or solenoid? This thread talks about a Brake Transmission Shift Interlock solenoid:

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...o-remove-BTSI?

Just curious. Did the shop put a meter on it, test it, inspect it or did they shoot from the hip and say change it?

BTW - Should be an alternate unlock under a small plug near the base of the shifter. Check your owners manual.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-07-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:01 PM
georgi
Amateur

Not to duplicate the information, I think, putting the post in the correct section - dodge caravan, 4th generation is enough. Its regular van 2001, transmission was rebuild from this shop - 31TH. The guy didn't test it. He said, it is a common issue with the brake switch. When it is getting bad it won't unlock the gear out of park. I went to O'Reilly and the only switch they said , under the brake pedal, is the brake lights switch.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:48 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

We need the exact model year to look up the correct wire diagram. The correct generation isn't good enough. There can be major differences between a 2001 and a 2007 even though they are the same generation. Besides the solenoid the only switch shown is the brake lamps switch. It uses different internal contacts for the brake interlock circuit compared to the brake light circuit. Both systems use the same switch. Brake lights work? Doesn't really matter. One set of contacts could be bad while the others work fine.

The switch: https://www.google.com/search?q=2001...tbm=shop&spd=0

He gets to the switch at about the 4:40 mark.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-08-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:01 AM
georgi
Amateur

Yes, you are right about a difference in the years of manufacturing of the same model.
My brake lights are working. Finally do you suggest to replace the brake lights switch first?
Thank you for the video about this replacement!

Old 10-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

"My brake lights are working. Finally do you suggest to replace the brake lights switch first?"

I've never worked the system so I can only go by what a wire diagram is telling me. I would verify the shop was recommending the brake lamps switch first. Might help to show them this thread.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 PM
georgi
Amateur

According to service manual: brake lamp switch
In stores: brake light switch or Stoplight Switch

This switch has 6 terminals: 2 for brake lights, 2 for brake transmission shift interlock, 2 for cruise control. So we cannot determine by brake lights if the shift interlock part of the switch is working properly. We can test it easily but we cannot put it back.
Anyway we have to replace it first. I tried to test the new switch but it was impossible because the installation lever was not in active position. I removed the old one – first pushed the red locker to connector, then pressed the lever to coupling to release and disconnected it. Turned the switch counterclockwise about 30 degree and pulled. The test showed it is OK but it could be expected if it malfunctioned from time to time.
The only preliminary test I did was on the transmission interlock switch located in the steering column. Test is described in the manual. It passed the test.
Next day the gear shift stuck again. Do you have any other ideas?

Old 10-20-2015, 12:46 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

SUBJECT:
Shifter Hard To Move Out Of Park
MODELS:
2001 (RS) Town & Country/Voyager/Caravan
2001 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
DISCUSSION:
The 2001 model minivans are equipped with Brake/Transmission Shift Interlock
(BTSI). Previous minivans did not have this feature. The design of the BTSI
REQUIRES the service brake pedal to be depressed BEFORE attempting to
move the shifter lever out of the PARK position.
If the shifter lever is pulled (even applying slight pressure) prior to the service brake pedal
being depressed, the shifter lever will not be able to be removed from the PARK position. If
the shifter lever is released and then pulled again while continuing to depress the service
brake pedal, the shifter lever will be able to be removed from the PARK position.
The BTSI is active only when the ignition switch is in the ON position. The
transmission/ignition switch interlock prevents the shifter from being moved from the
PARK position when the ignition switch is in the LOCK position.
POLICY:
Information

Old 10-20-2015, 12:47 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

SUBJECT:
Gear Shift Lever and Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Service
MODELS:
2001 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
2001 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH
AN AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE.
DISCUSSION:
The transaxle gear shift lever and the Brake/Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) are now
serviced separately. Replacing these components no longer requires a steering column
assembly. The gear shift lever part numbers are 04690910AC (without AutoStick®) and
04690915AB (with AutoStick®). The BTSI part number is 04690805AB. The gear shift
lever removal and installation procedure can be found in Section 19-Steering, Column,
of the 2001 RS Service Manual or the service information on the MDS2. The BTSI
description, operation, diagnosing and testing, and removal and installation procedures
can be found in Section 21-Automatic Transaxles (31TH or 41TE), Shift Interlock Solenoid,
of the 2001 RS Service Manual or the service information on the MDS2.
POLICY:
Information Only.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: gear shift lever stuck in park