Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1998 Dodge Caravan AWD 3.8L Stalls at acceleration,shuts off in 10 Sec. driving.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 AM
janos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 Dodge Caravan AWD 3.8L Stalls at acceleration,shuts off in 10 Sec. driving.

Hi- I am new here and I am hopping to get some help with my

98 Caravan AWD 3.8L. She starts right up at first try however she will stall as soon as I accelerate. will re start again in 30-60 Sec.
She will stall at driving up small hills or driving up a ramp as normal but...
if I am very gentle with the gas and hold it around 1000,RPM she will goo very slowly and gradually speed up to normal speed at 65-70 mph on the freeway.
however if the traffic would slow down and comes to a complete stop, she would die again as I would accelerate.......

NO Trouble code present. NO Check Engine light,.....

work I have do so far,....New Battery, Camshaft sensor, Crankshaft sensor, new Fuel pump, new fuel filter,

I am thinking to replace EGR Valve, and the ECM.......?

Can you help?
thanks

Old 10-12-2015, 01:54 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shooting from the hip I would be thinking a carboned up MAP sensor. The MAP sensor adjusts the air/fuel mix based on the load (intake manifold vacuum) that it detects. Other than that maybe a vacuum leak, throttle position sensor, clogged fuel injectors, weak ignition coil etc. ECM? You're a long way from that buy. EGR valve more often causes idle problems.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:13 PM
VMAN

Run fuel injector cleaner thru system, Seafoam or the sort, preferably thru the vacuum system. Also, if or when you change plugs, make sure you provide your VIN# and make sure you are given the right plugs. ( the spark plugs for the 3.3L engine are 3/8" shorter, pep boyz sold me the wrong plugs and you can't imagine the problems that resulted from this bone head mistake!)

Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 PM
janos

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Shooting from the hip I would be thinking a carboned up MAP sensor. The MAP sensor adjusts the air/fuel mix based on the load (intake manifold vacuum) that it detects. Other than that maybe a vacuum leak, throttle position sensor, clogged fuel injectors, weak ignition coil etc. ECM? You're a long way from that buy. EGR valve more often causes idle problems.
Hi Guys, Thanks for the reply to my problems,....

I have no vacuum leak I have tested, also replaced the EGR valve, and the ECM.
I have tested the Fuel pressure and it's 50psi.
I have tested and replaced the Fuel pump relay, Auto shut down relay.

I have the same problem as I had 7 days ago.

What next?

thanks

Old 10-13-2015, 07:09 PM
janos

Originally Posted by VMAN
Run fuel injector cleaner thru system, Seafoam or the sort, preferably thru the vacuum system. Also, if or when you change plugs, make sure you provide your VIN# and make sure you are given the right plugs. ( the spark plugs for the 3.3L engine are 3/8" shorter, pep boyz sold me the wrong plugs and you can't imagine the problems that resulted from this bone head mistake!)
Thanks for the reply,..

I have replaced the EGR Valve and the ECM. I have the same problem, also Replaced the Fuel pressure relay and the ASR. in the fuse box.

Cougar41 recommended the MAP sensor, I will do that , will see what happens.

thanks

Old 10-14-2015, 12:49 PM
VMAN

You might check the electrical connection of the ECM. My ECM connector loosened up when I removed the battery and tray once. Van started to have similar problems.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:04 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by janos
new Fuel pump, new fuel filter,
Check your fuel pressure. There was a big issue with the fuel pumps for a while. I went through 5 pumps from 5 different sources before I found a good one.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:18 PM
janos

Hi Guys,... Thanks for all of your help,.......as of 10/31/15 I have Fixed my 1998 Dodge Caravan AWD. I have done a lot of replacement parts. all the electronics including TMC-EMC, EGR valve,fuel pump, fuel filter,and more. the last thing I have left was the Wiring harness. I was about 50% true with disconnecting wires, when I noticed that the O2. sensor connector was Melted. " the connector touched the Exhaust manifold"
I knew I found the problem,..but I head went on to replace the wiring harness. A few hrs later put all back together, and works fine as it should.
I have learned a lessen......Next time before I start replacing parts in such case, "No trouble code light on" I will start with the Wiring harness, making sure No burned wire anywhere.

thanks again for all your help.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1998 Dodge Caravan AWD 3.8L Stalls at acceleration,shuts off in 10 Sec. driving.