Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1996 Grand Caravan 3.8l cel

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 03:35 AM
Destineal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Grand Caravan 3.8l cel

Hello everyone. I hate that my 1st post is a cry for help, but this is the position I've put myself in. I recently purchased a 96 3.8L with a p0340 cel for cam position sensor. I test drove it and all seemed well. Drove it to pick up the sensor at Oreilys and then home. Tried to get the sensor off but I couldn't, so I headed to the store for a better wrench and it cut off on me. Finally made it to the store and swapped the sensor out only for the van to not start up. After a hour or two I realized that even though the harness and sensor connector snapped together, there was a lot of play in the connection. Zip tied it together with 6 zip ties and it started up and drove me to work fine. However, it started bucking on the drive home so I ended up leaving it at my job. Now i have a p1391 code and I'm hoping that maybe I need a mopar brand sensor or another connector??? Is a p1391 always a cracked flexplate?

Old 11-15-2015, 03:45 AM
Destineal

Normally I could get it to crank, but I removed the cam sensor to see if the spacer was still on there. Spacer is still on there, but not it won't crank. I'm not proficient with a multimeter, but I tried testing the connector for power and ground. pin 1 provided 9.17V. Shouldn't it be 12V? The continuity buzzer went off for ground on pin 2 and pin 3 had 5.01V

Old 11-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Destineal

Well I went to the junkyard a while back and grabbed a rubber grommet off of a cam sensor connector male to deal with the play in the connector. put it on and I still had the issue. I ordered a Mopar cam sensor and put it on, and so far the van is driving in my job's parking lot. I'll drive it home tomorrow morning and keep my fingers crossed that the problem is fixed.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Open the wire harness at the starter and the front motor mount. The wires rubber on the engine block and will cause all kind of problems.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1996 Grand Caravan 3.8l cel