Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Screaming/grinding front brake pads - 2006 GC

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:53 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screaming/grinding front brake pads - 2006 GC

Wondering if anyone can identify a CarQuest brake pad that has CPB-524-FF stamped on the back of the brake pad, directly underneath the CarQuest logo. (I called both CarQuest and Advance Auto, and neither could identify it by this I.D.; Google came up empty except for a document that doesn't tell me anything about the pad.)

The reason: Just over a year ago, my wife took our 2006 GC to Belle Tire to get the front brakes replaced before a big trip, and they sold her "premium" pads. Over the past several months, they've been making intermittent grinding noises until more recently, when the noise was constant. When I complained to Belle Tire a few months ago, they told me that this is a common problem for this vehicle, and, bless their hearts, they offered to install OEM pads for the increased cost of the pads over the ones they installed.

I replaced the pads and rotors myself a few days ago, using aftermarket "Wearever" parts and, so far, very good. The inner pads on the ones I just pulled still had just under a quarter inch of pad left. (The outers were about 50% worn.) The old rotors I pulled were not pitted, had no grooves, just appeared to have normal wear. I should mention that there were no other symptoms other than noise; there was no pulsating when braking, and there was no pulling to one side when braking. Just awful noise.

I've replaced brakes on four different Dodge/Chrysler minivans I've owned, and never had this problem. I am wondering if Belle Tire put CarQuest's el-cheapo brake pad on and charged for premium.

Thoughts?

Old 11-18-2015, 04:35 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had semi-metallic pads make noise randomly. If there is a heavily metallic area in the pad it will make noise. I've noticed it more over the last couple years. I've since switched to ceramics and have eliminated the issue.
Also had glazed pads do the same.

It's possible, it's also possible that the "premium" pads were just a better semi-metallic.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Screaming/grinding front brake pads - 2006 GC