Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'97 Voyager - tap tap tap

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:43 PM
nicomp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Voyager - tap tap tap

We have the 3.0L engine. 122K miles. Valve job at 50K because the 5 Star Chrysler Dealer said we needed it.

Anyway, at cold start there's a tapping sound under the hood. It seems to follow engine rpm. It sounds like a valve to me because I used to adjust valves on Corvairs and I've heard the sound before. It could be anything, I don't know.

The sound is very loud and eventually goes away after about 2-5 minutes. The engine runs well otherwise.

Sometimes it doesn't to it at all and sometimes it starts after a few seconds of engine running. Sometimes it starts immediatly.

Help!

Thanks,

Old 11-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain
Default RE: '97 Voyager - tap tap tap

It sounds like it not getting enough oil. the lifters are dry. I found a product that in most cases stops this from happening. It's called Marvel Mystery oil. I know the name sounds strange but it works. I comes in a red can not very expensive. Just add a pint to your oil and a quart at every oil change. The quart replaces one of the other quarts that you use now. Should work in minutes of using. great stuff.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 AM
BenHertz

Here's another forum with the same problem
Automotive Forum Caravan/Voyager

Old 11-08-2005, 10:03 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Oil lubrication isn't the problem, the rocker arms are making the noise. Here is a quote from the tsb out from Chrysler on this concern. The vehicle should last a long time like this, but something making a noise inside of an engine never gets better, only worse. The bulletin says the condition occurs on a hot engine, but this will repair the problem. This ticking noise starts as a cold condition and goes away when warm, at some point it will never stop ticking.

NO: 09-01-98 Rev. B
SUBJECT: Engine Ticking Noise While At Idle
DATE: Nov. 13, 1998
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 09-01-98 REV. A, DATED APR. 10, 1998, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

NOTE: THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO 3.0L ENGINES WITH AN ENGINE BUILD CODE OF AUGUST 15, 1998 (JULIAN DATE 2278) OR PRIOR. THE BUILD CODE IS LOCATED ON A STICKER ATTACHED TO THE TIMING COVER (FIGURE 1).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may have a condition where the valve train makes a ticking noise similar to valve lifter noise, but not as loud. This noise is heard in a fully warmed engine between 500 and 1000 rpm. The ticking noise will disappear as the engine rpm is raised above 1000 rpm. Customers may describe this condition as lifter noise.

DIAGNOSIS:
Drive the vehicle to warm the coolant and engine oil fully. With the engine at idle and the hood open, listen carefully for ticking noises coming from the rocker covers. Raise the engine rpm and listen for the noise again. If the noise is heard at idle but not at higher rpm and is pinpointed in the valve train, perform the Repair Procedure.

NOTE: MAKE SURE THE TICKING NOISE ORIGINATES IN THE VALVE TRAIN. USE A STETHOSCOPE OR OTHER LISTENING DEVICE TO PINPOINT THE NOISE SOURCE.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 MD361652 Spacer Kit, Rocker Arm
(AR) 2 MD120091 Gasket, Valve Cover
1 04883971 GEN II Silicone Adhesive Sealant

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves removing components to gain access to the upper valve train, taking measurements, removing the rocker assemblies, and replacing the springs with specified solid spacers and washers.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Metallheadd
Amateur

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN Repair Procedure, Is this a difficult procedure? I have never done any work onthese engines. Is there a write up on how to do it?

Old 08-02-2008, 01:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Try this instead, ck your oil level. If you are down a qt, add 1 qt of atf and drive the van for 5 miles and change the oil and filter.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Metallheadd
Amateur

Thats the same as using Seafoam. Eliminate the gunk right? So Im guessing you diagree with the service bulletin and think its a lack of oil due to a clogged pick up screen or what?

Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

No, this will help to clean any plugged lifters. Due tolack of oil changes. If this doesn"t work then you'll to replace the lifters.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Metallheadd
Amateur

Well what is the spacer kit for. I dont see lifters listed.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 MD361652 Spacer Kit, Rocker Arm
(AR) 2 MD120091 Gasket, Valve Cover
1 04883971 GEN II Silicone Adhesive Sealant

Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Part number for the lifters is MB151382, they also listed as valve lash adjusters.

Quick Reply: '97 Voyager - tap tap tap