Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Caravan transmission problem, 1st/2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:14 AM
Chris McBride
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Caravan transmission problem, 1st/2nd gear

Hi,

I'm a new member here, hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I've been searching the forum, but haven't found quite what I'm looking for.

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L SXT, with 100k miles. Recently, it's started to shift hard / clunk immediately when I press the gas from a stopped position. It also downshifts hard from 2nd to 1st. While driving it around the neighborhood, it finally threw an engine code. As soon as the engine light came on, the car wouldn't move when in drive (pressing the gas just revved the engine). Also, there was a grinding noise coming from the the front of the car while sitting in drive with my foot on the brake (not moving). Once I turned the car off/on, it drove normally. The problems seem to be intermittent. I haven't had any problems with the higher gears.

I pulled the codes, and got the following:

1 Confirmed code:
- P083B: Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "G" Circuit Range/Performance

3 Pending codes:

- P1775: Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in TCC Position

- P0733: Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

- P083B: Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "G" Circuit Range/Performance

Where should I start in diagnosing the issue? From what I can tell, there aren't any transmission leaks, and there isn't a dipstick to check the fluid level. I've seen that they can be purchased, so maybe I should buy one.

Next, my thought is to replace the transmission solenoid pack. What are your thoughts?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

- Chris

Old 05-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Mj Krolick Clawson

Any luck with this issue? For months my 2009 grand caravan sxt 4.0 has sporadically not wanted to shift out of first upon first staring it up. Pulling over shutting it down and restating has kicked it back into gear. This happens 3 or 4 times a week and is a pain in the ***. As I have a lifetime power tain warranty I took it to a dodge dealer who told me there is nothing wrong with it after paying 500 to have it flushed and lines serviced. Today I got the p083b code. Seems dodge cannot diagnosis a problem without a code. Prior to the not shifting problems I was also getting the clunk when coming to a stop sign down the hill only. At this point I'm at a loss what to do since dodge thinks I don't have a problem. Wondering how easy it is to replace the switch oneself. Also a week after first purchasing it the solenoid did go out and when it did it wouldn't shift at all despite turning it off and on. As it was a brand new car dodge replaced it no problem. I will never have another caravan as its been one problem after another. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated as I keep getting stonewall ed on this issue by dodge. I even took it a amcco transmission shop prior to dodge and they wanted to rebuild the entire transmission. So very frustrated at this point.
QUOTE=Chris McBride;3283740]Hi,

I'm a new member here, hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I've been searching the forum, but haven't found quite what I'm looking for.

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L SXT, with 100k miles. Recently, it's started to shift hard / clunk immediately when I press the gas from a stopped position. It also downshifts hard from 2nd to 1st. While driving it around the neighborhood, it finally threw an engine code. As soon as the engine light came on, the car wouldn't move when in drive (pressing the gas just revved the engine). Also, there was a grinding noise coming from the the front of the car while sitting in drive with my foot on the brake (not moving). Once I turned the car off/on, it drove normally. The problems seem to be intermittent. I haven't had any problems with the higher gears.

1 Confirmed code:

3 Pending codes:

Where should I start in diagnosing the issue? From what I can tell, there aren't any transmission leaks, and there isn't a dipstick to check the fluid level. I've seen that they can be purchased, so maybe I should buy one.

Next, my thought is to replace the transmission solenoid pack. What are your thoughts?

- Chris[/QUOTE]

Old 07-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Matthew Rickett
Default Caravan trans fix

Originally Posted by Mj Krolick Clawson
Any luck with this issue? For months my 2009 grand caravan sxt 4.0 has sporadically not wanted to shift out of first upon first staring it up. Pulling over shutting it down and restating has kicked it back into gear. This happens 3 or 4 times a week and is a pain in the ***. As I have a lifetime power tain warranty I took it to a dodge dealer who told me there is nothing wrong with it after paying 500 to have it flushed and lines serviced. Today I got the p083b code. Seems dodge cannot diagnosis a problem without a code. Prior to the not shifting problems I was also getting the clunk when coming to a stop sign down the hill only. At this point I'm at a loss what to do since dodge thinks I don't have a problem. Wondering how easy it is to replace the switch oneself. Also a week after first purchasing it the solenoid did go out and when it did it wouldn't shift at all despite turning it off and on. As it was a brand new car dodge replaced it no problem. I will never have another caravan as its been one problem after another. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated as I keep getting stonewall ed on this issue by dodge. I even took it a amcco transmission shop prior to dodge and they wanted to rebuild the entire transmission. So very frustrated at this point.
QUOTE=Chris McBride;3283740]Hi,

1 Confirmed code:

3 Pending codes:

- Chris
[/QUOTE]

guys

my 2008 go 3.8 sxt with 180,000 Miles dame tranny problem. Left it at local dealership and it took them 6 months to fix it. It was fixed under warranty.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Caravan transmission problem, 1st/2nd gear