Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Advice sought: new axles, assembled struts, control arms, links, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:36 PM
hobkirk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice sought: new axles, assembled struts, control arms, links, etc.

I need both front axles, which means I must separate the control arm and so forth. Rust isn't bad, but it's gone through 14 New England winters so everything will be hard to take apart. 83K miles.

I plan on keeping the van, so I checked out replacement struts.
  • WOW! Struts are CHEAP!
  • So I kept looking. Here is a Full front suspension kit for $265
    2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Steering & Suspension Kit (2) Front Lower Ball Joints (2) Front Sway Bar Links (2) Front Outer Tie Rods (2) Front Inner Tie Rods (2) Front Strut & Spring Assemblies
Holy bananas! Too good to be true?

I've had good luck over the years with generic aftermarket parts, but I do respect better quality. On Amazon, it seemed that FCS go poor marks, Moog good, Monroe so-so. But I'm an old geezer now (70), driving a hum-drum van, and I don't drive far or fast.*

Any advice?
  1. Parts themselves
    • Source (AM has 99.8% rating on eBay - This listing is what I am considering, although this listing is for the 4th gen Caravan) - I am still finding what they can do for my Gen 3
    • Stick to a particular brand?
    • Do you have a suggested alternative seller?
  2. Is the whole project feasible -
    • Is this likely to be doable in 4 hours? 8 hours?
    • I have tools, including an electric impact gun
    • I probably can use a lift and my air impact gun
    • I changed the sway bar bushings last year (one had to be cut off, I had to shim the new bushing to get it tight enough)
  3. Any major pitfalls to be careful to avoid?

Thanks, as always.

* I used to drive fast. I've gone cross-country by car and motorcycle at mostly 90-100 mph. 1,450 miles in 24 hours on a BMW R90S MC (and that included 2 hours for breakfast and some quick stops to sightsee in Yellowstone). In regular life, I'd hit 100 most weeks, because I was running late or some other excellent reason! DX of ADD at age 55. RX = amphetamines. Immediately I stopped speeding with no conscious effort. WEIRD! (Maybe this story will help someone)

Old 02-14-2016, 03:00 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You have a 2000 minivan in New England and it hasn't turned to a pile of brown powder already? That's impressive.

You may just want to buy some new control arms and save yourself some grief. As far as the struts, be sure to check the integrity of the strut towers before you start. They often look fine until you start twisting out the strut mount bolts, then the carnage begins. I know aftermarket makes re-enforcement kits for those of they are perforated.

I would also invest in a good air chisel and lots of rust penetrant. I don't know how you'll get through it all without a torch at some point. It would be an accomplishment if you do. The sway bar links, even down South here often have to be cut off. I use a die grinder with a 4" cutoff wheel and work my way behind the socket side of each end.

Are you sure you don't want to get another van? The 2001-2007 gen are pretty well priced used these days.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-14-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:40 PM
hobkirk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
You have a 2000 minivan in New England and it hasn't turned to a pile of brown powder already? That's impressive.

You may just want to buy some new control arms and save yourself some grief. As far as the struts, be sure to check the integrity of the strut towers before you start. They often look fine until you start twisting out the strut mount bolts, then the carnage begins. I know aftermarket makes re-enforcement kits for those of they are perforated.

I would also invest in a good air chisel and lots of rust penetrant. I don't know how you'll get through it all without a torch at some point. It would be an accomplishment if you do. The sway bar links, even down South here often have to be cut off. I use a die grinder with a 4" cutoff wheel and work my way behind the socket side of each end.

Are you sure you don't want to get another van? The 2001-2007 gen are pretty well priced used these days.
I have a 1997 Caravan in my yard that did disintegrate: body, "frame rails," top of strut towers, etc. My "new" 2000 has minor rust in front of the L rear wheel and the bottom of the R sliding door, but that's it. I was amazed. Only 83K.

I won't try without the lift, I have grinders w/ cutoffs. I was thinking it'd be easier to drop the control arms but I'm realizing it probably won't - on further thought I realize the problem will be in separating the knuckles and having a new control arm with BJ probably won't help much.

Thanks for responding.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:28 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Be wary of cheap parts. They may seem like a great deal, but I've had them go to hell very quickly. Suspension is one of those things I wouldn't cheap out on, if it fails, it can very quickly end you along with it.

As for axles, I only go reman on Chrysler vehicles, as I've found the "new" axles have smaller diameters on the main shafts, which lend to them breaking easily.

As far as trading for a newer one, I wouldn't, they seem to rot to hell quickly compared to the older ones. There's a reason I have a 94 and a 95, well outside of them being the only body style I like, they last!

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Advice sought: new axles, assembled struts, control arms, links, etc.