Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Fuel Gauge improper reading

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Almazick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge improper reading

2003 Dodge Caravan battery was going bad with very low voltage and alternator couldn't keep up, probably was going bad as well. During the low voltage in the system, my lights started flashing and fuel gauge started jumping up and down. Battery and alternator have been replaced but fuel gauge now showing improper reading from the fuel tank. When the tank is almost empty, fuel gauge showing half empty and when the tank is half empty then the gauge is showing full. I reset cluster by holding the trip button for 30 seconds for self-calibration but it didn't solve the problem yet. Note: Low fuel light is working properly. What else could be a problem besides sending unit variable resistor?

Last edited by Almazick; 03-02-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:31 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the gauge stop at the correct readings during the cluster test? Should stop at empty, 1/4, 1/2, full then back to empty. If it did the gauge is fine. If it didn't the needle probably spun on the shaft while it was going nuts.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Almazick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cougar41, you are right needle spun on the shaft. Is it possible to recalibrate or do I have to physically move the needle in the right position?

Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have to move the needle. I've never dealt with it but I've read about owners repositioning spun speedo needles with good success. Might consider putting a dot of super glue on the end of the shaft to keep it there once you get it corrected. Here's a video on how to remove the cluster. You'll have to figure out how to remove the clear plastic face of the cluster so you can access the needle.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-03-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Fuel Gauge improper reading