Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Rear evaporator leak 2006 dodge grand

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:21 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear evaporator leak 2006 dodge grand

other then the Drier and the Rear evaporator anything else?

the dye is there from last summer when I replaced the front Condenser due to a rock strike

2006 rear evaporator leak

Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

well got done with the rear evaporator core, not too bad of a job
got the parts from Mopar,

hardest part was getting the lines separated from the expansion, that took some force,
I did take the bumper cover off and took off two of the support brackets for the lower lines, to give a better angle and pulling the lines off the expansion

Old 04-23-2016, 03:26 PM
RickMN
Veteran

My experience is that the leak is actually from the block under the expansion valve--the parts that's under the van and exposed to road crud. The tubes have a foam insulation that sucks up road salt and corrodes the tube where it connects to the block. If you still have a leak, check there. The dealer says they can barely keep that part in stock.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:37 AM
trophyslayer
Veteran

Thanks for the info,

so far so good, once I got the old core out, I could see dye up about 3inches above the expansion valve, on the tubes leading to the core inside the van, so hopefully I got the bad part changed,

but if not I will look at the lower tubes with the block,

Thanks again

Old 05-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you get the new updated seal kit for the bottom of the housing? In the picture I can see the 4 plastic finger sticking down. Those need to be cut off and a new seal put on. The corrosion actually happens between the expansion valve and the block on the evaporator itself and that is the main entrance for the moisture that causes the problems.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:07 AM
trophyslayer
Veteran

Yes I got the new Updated kit from Mopar,
it came with instruction on to cut off the fingers, didn't know the reason, but that makes sense as there was a lot more dye on the top side of the expansion valve

used a Multi-Tool with the plunge blade on it to cut the fingers off smooth, first tried my tin snips, but couldn't get them flush enough

I had taken your advice from another post on not removing the blower housing from the van and leaving the heater core lines connected, and doing the work inside the back of the van, that defiantly saved a lot/work of time not having to drain the coolant

thanks again

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Rear evaporator leak 2006 dodge grand