Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Weird Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:00 PM
RAPEVAN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Tire wear

I have a 2000 Dodge caravan and recently my tires are wearing on the outside edge only on the front passenger side tire. All my other tires are wearing evenly besides that front passenger side one. I have recently changed the front struts and have already got an alignment done. The shop said there is something wrong but they don't know what is wrong. There is no play in the suspension parts. What can be the cause of the outer edge wearing rapidly only on the front passenger side? Did I miss anything or is there something I failed to check? Anyone else experiencing the same problem? I'll post pictures of the tire wear later.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:09 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like they didn't get your camber correct when they did your alignment. Or it wore that bad between installing the struts and getting the alignment. I'm gonna go on a limb and say the shop fail to do a proper alignment, and that's the cause of your tire wear.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smooth even wear all around the outer edge would be too much positive camber. Either the adjustment is out of spec or parts are worn. If the wear is uneven or choppy it could be out of spec toe in adjustment or worn parts.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:06 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Smooth even wear all around the outer edge would be too much positive camber. Either the adjustment is out of spec or parts are worn. If the wear is uneven or choppy it could be out of spec toe in adjustment or worn parts.
Contrary to popular belief, camber negative or positive, will not wear a tire, at least not quick enough to notice (unless you are one who accelerates or brakes heavily). Camber being off with the addition of toe being off will direct the wear to the inside or outside of the tire depending on positive or negative. A dead on alignment with negative camber, won't actually wear tires that much quicker.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 PM
tucansam17
Default 2013 Dart orig tires - odd wear on edge side

Tire wear along inside edge of tire - not on tread

2013 Dart I bought new on Jan 1st 2014. Orig tires with 35000 miles on them. Upon rotating tires from front to back, noticed along inside edge of tires which were on front (225/45 R17). Does not look like any issue with alignment, looks like something rubbing the tires on front end. Are tires too wide for the dart - the ones sold with it?
Wear is weird just seems to be on side of the tire than where tread is - unless my wife rode on side of tires up on the air like a stunt driver riding on only two wheels.

Anyone else seeing this - what is the issue?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Caravanfan63
Default Tire wear?

Originally Posted by tucansam17

Tire wear along inside edge of tire - not on tread

2013 Dart I bought new on Jan 1st 2014. Orig tires with 35000 miles on them. Upon rotating tires from front to back, noticed along inside edge of tires which were on front (225/45 R17). Does not look like any issue with alignment, looks like something rubbing the tires on front end. Are tires too wide for the dart - the ones sold with it?
Wear is weird just seems to be on side of the tire than where tread is - unless my wife rode on side of tires up on the air like a stunt driver riding on only two wheels.

Anyone else seeing this - what is the issue?
Check for shiney places on wheel wells any components, have someone turn wheels all the way from lock to lock to check for contact with the car on the ground, normal ride hight. If no contact us noted back up one side at a time to check for play. Note, over sized tires/wheels change the alignment geometry and can also cause other wear/alignment issues. I am Hunter certified and loved these challenges. Find someone that understands how to set up custom parameters in the alignment computer to compensate for suspension/wheel/tire mods or you are gonna have some wear/driveability issues. Good luck!

Last edited by Caravanfan63; 05-02-2016 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 05-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokesxt
Contrary to popular belief, camber negative or positive, will not wear a tire, at least not quick enough to notice (unless you are one who accelerates or brakes heavily). Camber being off with the addition of toe being off will direct the wear to the inside or outside of the tire depending on positive or negative. A dead on alignment with negative camber, won't actually wear tires that much quicker.
Guess multiple websites including tire manufacturers are wrong.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:57 AM
RAPEVAN
Default Found the alignment sheet that did the alignment

I found the alignment sheet that did the alignment in May 2015. I drove the vehicle less than 2 miles to the alignment shop after doing the front struts. I feel like I probably do have a suspension problem but I don't know what is wrong. I don't want to be throwing parts on it trying to solve the problem. I bought my current Michelin defender XT set from costco at 218,000 Miles. My van now has 231,000 miles and the tread is at 50%. It is wearing evenly but it just wears a significant amount on the outside of the front, passenger side tire.

This is how the wear looks like. It only wears like that on the front passenger side.

This is how the alignment shop gave the vehicle back to me. They said it is normal and they adjusted it to the best of their ability. I only paid $60 for this alignment and they aren't a tire or alignment shop so maybe they didn't do a good job? Based on the print out, what is probably worn on my suspension and how can I check for it besides tugging on parts seeing if there is play. I've done that on my control arms, sway bars, ball joints and there aren't any play.

Thank you for reading and let me know if I am missing anything.

Last edited by RAPEVAN; 05-10-2016 at 03:09 AM. Reason: All the stuff I typed disappeared. Won't show everything I typed except the first sentence.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Weird Tire wear