Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: abs problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 03:09 PM
jeremyg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs problems

hi my abs has had a bad wheel sensor for about 2 months i had it checked at the dealership i was told it was the driver rear sensor. i finally replaced it the outher day along with new pads and rotors i finshed the job to it for a test drive
the abs light went out then came back on and that was that ...well this morring the abs light has not come on but the breaks take a couple of seconds to grab and start slowing down. i did not bleed the system when i compressed the clapers i opened the break fluid resovor but thats about all i did and the fluid was not low any ideas?????

Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Can you tell what year your vehicle is? The brake system are the same on all dodge products.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:34 AM
jeremyg

It is a 2002 ... I notice that some times even with the slightest touch on the break pedal will make the pedeal pulse and it's even worse if u turn the wheel left or right ...before I replaced the wheel sensor and breaks rear ones only. when I turn the wheel to the right to pull in a parking spot the break pedeal would pulse and go to the floor and then breaks would grab and if i was making a right turn and hit the gas to hard the red break light would come on and not go off until I shut off the van but didn't notice any difference in breaking...right now the abs light comes on and off at random times while breaking and the pedeal pulse at random times not every time I hit the breaks..

Old 05-06-2016, 12:27 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

You replace the rear brake pads on the rear disc brake system? And replace the ABS sensor too at the same time. Correct? I would recheck the bolts holding the sensors and be sure they are tight. A loose sensor will cause the ABS to active sooner than it should.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:50 PM
jeremyg

could a loose wheel stud be the cuase of the problem? i had to replace one and might not of seated all the way.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:00 AM
jeremyg

Well I pulled the abs relay and the pedeal dose not pulse any more so I'm guessing it's the abs system it self

Old 05-07-2016, 01:40 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

That's telling me the ABS system is active too soon. I would recheck your work on the brakes. I have seen the brake pads not seat correctly and causing the ABS system to active too soon.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:07 AM
jeremyg

Thanks I'll check the pads ...something weird after pulling the abs relay my power door locks don't work inter lights won't come on and the blower motor stays on and the power button for the blower and AC won't work..... That's weird!!!

Old 05-07-2016, 01:22 PM
jeremyg

I checked the pad and everything is fine.. I disconnecting the ABS wheel sensor that I replaced.. Too see if it's still doing it if stops the I'm guessing that some thing is wrong with the ring in the hub thier was a bit of moisture on the old sensor when I pulled it out may be the ring is rusted and giving false singles?????

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: abs problems