Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Caravan - getting the brake pads over Abutment clips???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:40 AM
02viperacr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Caravan - getting the brake pads over Abutment clips???

I have a 2013 dodge grand caravan ... doing the rear brakes ... it has the HD brakes so the rotor is 13" and pads are slightly bigger then the normal ones ... I got the abutment clips snapped in but when putting in the new brake pad which is usually the easy part ... there is little clips on the abutment clip itself and I can't seem to figure out how the pad would go in AND get behind this little clip .... has anyone done the brakes of this year or newer with the HD brakes? All the videos I've found online are older caravans and or not this brake system ... YouTube has a nice video that even said 2013 but that brake system looked totally different then mine and the guy just popped the pads in with ease.

Anybody can help me?

Old 05-23-2016, 08:23 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you have the HD pads? As you know, they are different than standard duty. Are your new pads the same as the old ones? Do the old ones fit in with the new abutment clips? Sorry I can't be more help.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:11 AM
sxteaser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problem 02viperacr, I spent two hours fiddling with the drivers side,,,,, I managed but they are tight by my standards! The mating surfaces have to be cleaned up well with a good scraper or wire wheel, Then insert the clips with the spring protruding from the outside and the larger lip on the bottom. if the spring isn't oriented so the long flat part that fits in the tiny recess in the pad back isn't 45 degrees, gently pry it back until it is. The pad assembly can now slip in from the top ends of each side compressing the flat on each side as it goes in. I had to use a dremel tool to file off a little metal so they would go in,,,,,never had that before! Everything seems to be ok. I hope this helps anyone having trouble with these damn things. I hope you can figure out what I'm describing as well. Have a great day!

Last edited by sxteaser; 01-11-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Caravan - getting the brake pads over Abutment clips???