Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Mystery-Intermittent Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 05:08 PM
danacat
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery-Intermittent Starting Issue

I am having a problem with my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan randomly not starting until after several turns of the key (on avaerage once or twice a week). Tookit to dealership and they had it for two days and could not find a problem (or duplicate it either). The problem I am having is, out of the blue, I get in the DGC, turn the key, and all it does is make the initial "chhk" sound (for lack of better description), but it won't turn over, or even try. I can turn the key 5-10 times(averaging), then all of a sudden it starts like nothing was wrong. The dealership tech found no codes. 1. He peformed a GR8 Starter Draw Test- it passed. 2. He performed a GR8 Charging System Test - it passed. 3. He performed a GR8 Battery Load Test - it passed. 4. He performed a visual inspection, found nothing. They only thing they are fixing is the Sat radio because the CD player is acting up, and is also giving a disk inoperable code (they had to order a new radio and I will return to have it installed - under lifetime warranty coverage). The DGC also had the ignition and two key fobs replaced back during the initial recall for this model.

Does anyone have any clue on what else can be checked/tested to find the problem? Has anybody had/heard of this problem before ?

Thanks in advance for any help. If I get to the bottom of it, hopefully this post can help someone else.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:06 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Starter solenoid?

Old 07-20-2016, 08:55 PM
hodder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2008 grand caravan also has the same starting issue I also had all the same test done and they all past I do not drive it a lot I also had the ignition and two key fobs replaced back during the initial recall for this model. could it be a fault in the ignition that they replaced. I wondering if your problem was solved

Old 07-20-2016, 09:33 PM
offgas
Professional

Dead spot on the starter armature or pitted contacts in the starter solenoid?

Old 07-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. Sounds like the classic worn solenoid contact scenario in both cases. I may be wrong but I think 08s solenoids are separate from the starter. If you're getting 12vdc at the solenoid connection change the solenoid. An old trick? Tap on it with a hammer while trying to start. If it starts change the solenoid. Any vehicle over five years old is susceptible to worn solenoid contacts.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:12 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Question

It's been over a month since I suggested the starter solenoid. No word since from the OP. I just looked, Dana hasn't posted any posts at all since 6-11.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 07-24-2016 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:16 AM
Tehook
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 caravan intermittent starting problem

Every once in a while my 2000 caravan won't turn over until I try the key a few times...then it fires up and runs fine.

I changed the battery terminal connector on the positive terminal. ..the 2 wires looked pretty corroded until I peeled back the insulation. ..the wires are actually in real good shape....this seems to have fixed the problem.

​​​​I originally tried a new ground to the engine block first but that didn't seem to fix anything.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Mystery-Intermittent Starting Issue