Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Dealer service charges

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 12:29 AM
zoom996
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer service charges

My 06 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT is at the dealer for a trans computer code P0765.

I diagnosed it to the wiring or the computer using the alldatadiy.com

The dealer wants to charge me $932 for 2 hrs labor at $130/hr and $613 for the computer. That looks outrageous to me.

Then he says they THINK that's what's wrong. !?!?!? That's ridiculous that they would want to charge me for work that might not fix the issue.

I tell the service writer this and he stumbles when I ask him if I'm going to be charged more if this doesn't fix the issue. He says they'll do more diagnostic work to make sure.

That's even worse. Why call me and tell me it's the computer if your not sure? Do the work to figure out what's wrong and BE sure before you call me.

I've lost confidence in this dealer. What experiences do any of you have? Can you give me advice on what do to now?

Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This code points to a solenoid pack failure. Did they tell you they eliminated the solenoid pack as the cause? http://easyautodiagnostics.com/chrys...-p0765-tests-1

The cost sounds typical for a dealership. If it comes to changing the PCM you can get a reman for around $200 pre programmed and ready to install.

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-23-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run!!!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:40 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Find another dealer.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:02 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What irritates me is all the shop material fees, environmental fees, waste oil disposal fees, and on and on.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:23 AM
zoom996
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar41
This code points to a solenoid pack failure. Did they tell you they eliminated the solenoid pack as the cause? http://easyautodiagnostics.com/chrys...-p0765-tests-1

The cost sounds typical for a dealership. If it comes to changing the PCM you can get a reman for around $200 pre programmed and ready to install.
There's another thread close to this one where I talked about the problem with the trans solenoid. I replaced it but the problem continued. I checked the pin resistance with a multimeter per the easyautdiagnostics.com website and it checks good.

I didn't confirm with the dealer that they eliminated the solenoid as the cause because now after speaking with them further another issue has cropped up while they had the van. They say the dash lights and guages flicker and twitch indicating the pcm is at fault. They then said a day later that they van will not start at all.

I went up to the dealership to get a feel for what is going on up there. I waled around and talked to the service manager, the service writer, and the tech working on the van. I checked the van battery with a multimeter and it reads 12.35 volts. So the battery is ok. It's some other issue.

I feel better about the dealership and think that the issues I've had with the them are the result of them being backed up a week with other work.

I will let them continue diagnosing the issues with the van and post again once they tell me definitively what the problem is with the van.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Dealer service charges