Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 96 Grand Caravan front wheel hub mounting bolts torque specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:20 PM
pattenp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Grand Caravan front wheel hub mounting bolts torque specs

I installed a new front wheel bearing assembly on a 96 Grand Caravan. I reused the mounting bolts and torqued to 80ft.lbs. per the Haynes manual. Two of the bolts took the torque but two failed never reaching the 80#. 80 ft.lbs. seem quite high for a 10MM bolt. I researched online and I’mfinding comments and references to torque to 45 ft.lbs. I tried my local Dodge dealer for new bolts but none were to be had and they would have to order them from California which would take a week plus they cost $6 each. So I went to my local Fastenal store and bought a pack of five 10MM class 10.9 bolts for $3. The torque specs for that bolt is 53 ft.lbs dry. So I just torqued them to 55# and called it a day. Also I don’t have a clue as to what the OEM bolts are classed as to compare them to the class 10.9 bolts I purchased from Fastenal. I know manufacturer bolt torque specs for certain applications will exceed the general torque spec of a bolt, but I didn’t dare torque the new bolts to 80#. My question is, does the 80# apply to a new bolt never torqued, whereas the old bolts wouldn’t stand up to that torque value once they have been stretched from previously being torqued to 80#. Or is that 80ft.lbs. in the Haynes manual wrong?

Last edited by pattenp; 06-30-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:25 PM
pattenp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been in contact with Haynes and they acknowledged that the torque of 80 ft/lbs in the version of the repair manual I have is incorrect. In newer versions it has been corrected to 45 ft/lbs.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 96 Grand Caravan front wheel hub mounting bolts torque specs