Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Random warning chimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:57 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Random warning chimes

I've had an electrical gremlin for a while now. On hot days the warning chime will sound at odd times when the van is stopped or coasting at parking lot speed. There is no MIL and no DTC. On occasion the chime will be accompanied by all the cluster lights flashing for a split second, and/or the clock on the radio resetting to 12:00. I have not noticed any driveability issues and the chiming does not happen when driving at speed, and it happens less often when the van is fully warmed up.

I recently replaced the EGR valve to fix a related problem, but I think that problem was fixed. I'm starting to suspect the TIPM or a wiring issue. Any thoughts?

Old 08-23-2016, 03:15 PM
07nightster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd double check battery connections and the battery itself first. Loose connections can cause some wacky stuff.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:20 PM
danacat
Rookie
Question

I just started having random chiming (no warning lights) today on my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. It happened twice on the way back from lunch. The first chime caught me off guard, but I know the second chime happened less than a minute later when I stopped at a stop sign and started to turn right. No warning lights on the dashboard at all. I noticed on another forum about Dodge Ram trucks having random chimes with no warning lights, and they seemed to keep pointing to the problem being a tail light being out, or a problem tail light circuit board. Recently I have had problems with my rear brake lights not working, and the dealership diagnosed and blamed on the age of bulbs, saying the brake lights are randomly not working because they are about to burn out. Charged me to diagnose and change one bulb, then I changed the other one myself. The top brake light (above rear window) is the only one I haven't changed. I'm suspicious of the dealership's diagnosis. Is anyone else having problems with random chiming on their 2008 Dodge Grand Caravans ?

Old 09-07-2016, 04:04 PM
danacat
Rookie

Never mind. I figured out (apparently because I spilled some water around the seatbelt buckle), that's what was making the random chimes while driving. The water apparently got inside the seatbelt buckle, so some sensor was having trouble telling if the seatbelt was buckled or not, while driving.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Random warning chimes