Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Manual shift mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 07:13 PM
Eric GM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual shift mode

Code red, my manual shift mode feature on my 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan as stopped working. Dealership confirmed failure and found tranny fluid to be burnt only 28000 miles after complete flush (Van currently has 106000 miles). They believe the transmission compounder(?) failed, and are recommending a transmission rebuild/replacement. The van works fine in regular auto mode for now. Any thoughts?

Old 08-26-2016, 09:12 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does transmission fluid actually smell burned? Or is just a light brown-which is normal. I am not a transmission expert, but I would think the transmission is good general condition if it works good in the auto mode. A good Mopar tech with the proper scan tool should be able to tell you why it doesn't work - not just you need a new transmission. Good Luck.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:52 AM
Eric GM

The dealership tech said the fluid was black, thought it was the original fluid with 106k on it, not 28k. I really like the van, but my wife is ready to jump ship versus paying 3-4 k for a new(rebuilt) transmission.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Eric GM

Well I called Chrysler about helping with covering the costs, especially since the transmission had been worked on under warranty(though a different problem) and apparently I only meet 2 of the 4 requirements😡 So the battle begins.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Manual shift mode