Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Please help our van

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Rmmartino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help our van

I can't get our van to start it's a 2006 it sounds like dead battery had it tested shop says battery is fine we put new starter in it cleaned up terminals and grounds and clean up alternator connection still won't start it jumped started once please help us

Old 08-28-2016, 12:13 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always drives me nuts to read one of these things that just has words and thoughts running together with no punctuation so I'm going to reply the same way to let you know how it looks from the other side but I'm also going to try and help you out by suggesting that you buy a multi-meter so that you can check batteries and many other things yourself but you could also take it to another shop and have them test it because IMO you have a bad battery good luck

Old 08-28-2016, 12:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Is it turning over or clicking or anything do your dash lights light up

Old 08-28-2016, 01:07 PM
Rmmartino
Default Thanks for the help everyone on this as for my thread

I'm sorry my spelling errors in this I'm using my phone and juggling with our children so not worried about my spelling errors as I'm sure you can understand what the message is and as for the van goes it seams to be a bad connection somewhere had battery tested 3 time's and put 2 starters in it and had them tested as for meters go on battery. Are reading 12 and everything in cab is working radio and lights seem strong I've even ran new wires to starter power supply and new grounds it sounds like it wants to start when jumped I was able to get it to start once and it died right out. I thank you all again for your help

Old 08-28-2016, 01:19 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you turn the ignition on (without cranking), do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

Old 08-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Rmmartino
Default Thanks for the help everyone on this as for my thread

I'm sorry my spelling errors in this I'm using my phone and juggling with our children so not worried about my spelling errors as I'm sure you can understand what the message is and as for the van goes it seams to be a bad connection somewhere had battery tested 3 time's and put 2 starters in it and had them tested as for meters go on battery. Are reading 12 and everything in cab is working radio and lights seem strong I've even ran new wires to starter power supply and new grounds it sounds like it wants to start when jumped I was able to get it to start once and it died right out. I thank you all again for your help

Old 08-28-2016, 01:22 PM
Rmmartino

I'm sorry I forgot to say that it does turn over and then clicking most of the time it just turns over weak and no clicking sound

Old 08-28-2016, 03:34 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmmartino
... as for meters go on battery. Are reading 12 and everything in cab is working radio and lights seem strong ...
12 is no good - it needs to be at 12.6. Lights and radio able to be on doesn't mean the battery is ok.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Rmmartino
Default Van

Yes fuel pump is working and I test alternator and starter with meter and I have same numbers over 12 it's around 12.4 and 12.6 battery on charge all day and night lights are on bright even when I turn it over it just won't start and sound is like dead battery I had a friend tell me to test alternator for a bad diodes any ideas on that and again thanks everyone for your help

Old 08-28-2016, 10:55 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A charged battery can start and run a car for a time without an alternator. The fact that it started (and died) with a jump and not without would suggest to me that your battery is no good. Since you've had your battery tested my second guess would be that there is something causing a ton of resistance near the battery...i.e. the wire terminals.

Is there not another battery you can throw in there? Doesn't have to be a new one...just a battery from another car to see how it does?

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Please help our van