Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Cilinder Misfire and PCM?

Old 09-11-2016, 04:02 PM
gabstero
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cilinder Misfire and PCM?

Hi there!

My Dodge Grand Caravan 2007 had misfiring issues, check engine light started blinking, engine lost power and had a mild trepidation as I was driving it (because of the unbalanced pistons firing). Brought it to the service and they thought is was the ignition coil. But later they said it might be the PCM.
They quoted me about $800 for it. I read some on the forums and looks like I can get one program for my vehicle and installed it myself. Would you recommend this?
Or rather - you think it might be the PCM? They did replaced the ignition coil and the issue persisted.
Looks like I can get a refurbished PCM and bring it to the deler to program it (or have it shipped programmed).

thanks!
Gabstero

Old 09-11-2016, 04:26 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gabstero
... But later they said it might be the PCM.
They quoted me about $800 for it....
And what happens if not - do you get your $800 back?

PCM is way down on the list of suspects, after about 25 other, more likely things. Try another shop - one that might actually diagnose instead of just wanting to hang on (really expensive) parts.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:27 PM
gabstero
Amateur

Good point - Thanks for the advice!
g

Old 09-26-2016, 12:38 PM
gabstero
Amateur

cv2003 -

I wanted to thank you again for your advice. I went with the car to another shop. Funny enough it was running fine when I picked it up from them. They said it'll start doing that same thing again because of the PCM needs to re-learn, blah blah.
The other shop ran a diagnostic (half cheaper than the other place I shall not name), and concluded the car simply needed a tune up. The PCM is in perfect working condition.
They were so happy to have me as a new customer that they even gave me a bottle of rose wine.
Go figure... lol

Thanks again!
G

Old 09-26-2016, 10:05 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to read it worked out well for you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Cilinder Misfire and PCM?