Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: joined the bad TIPM club this week

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default joined the bad TIPM club this week

Van began hard starting - either missing fuel or ignition. I jumped the fuel pump relay (located in the TIPM), no more problems. Its circuit #25, fused with a 20amp mini fuse. Added Care Plus warranty (lifetime) covers this item, with a 100 deductible. Dealer wants $850 to walk out the door with one.

Dodge (or rather their supplier) have a well internet documented problem with a $5 electrical relay soldered onto the circuit board in the Totally Integrated Power Module(TIPM).

Other Chrysler products with the same relay system have recalls. But the van isn't included.... yet. I'll hold onto my receipt, maybe I'll win my $100 back later.

Won't get back the time I spent figuring it out though :-/ Unfortunately I'm getting pretty good at this. This is the 3rd Dodge I've owned since 2004 has had a problem with Chrysler's poor decision to centralize all the functionality in one giant expensive blackbox.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:13 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrysler seems to have had major electrical issues over the years. It's hard to say if it's penny pinching, poor engineering or something else but they are in a league of their own with these issues.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:42 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Default and the saga continues

Picked up the van from the dealer, only to notice on the way home that the turn signals up front don't light up at all. Rears begin flash normal, then start flashing fast. Changed out front bulbs as prescribed by dealer, no change.

Back to the dealer, again. :-( Suspect its the replacement new TIPM, since the turn signals worked fine when we initially dropped it off.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:47 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Picked up the van from the dealer, only to notice on the way home that the turn signals up front don't light up at all. Rears begin flash normal, then start flashing fast. Changed out front bulbs as prescribed by dealer, no change.

Back to the dealer, again. :-( Suspect its the replacement new TIPM, since the turn signals worked fine when we initially dropped it off.

4 wires in one of the TIPM connectors have to be rearranged. It should be common knowledge at a dealer. There is even an instruction sheet in the box. This applies to Grand Cherokee, Durango and Minivans. 2011-2013 I believe.

Be sure to thank them for letting a NOOB work on your van and that you would appreciate it if they gave you your money's worth when you come in with an electrical issue by giving it to someone who is good at what they do.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-28-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:02 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Thank you! Dealer is waiting for a loaner to come available to take the van back in again, I assume the service manager is thinking its a bad TIPM and there will be a multi-day wait - our rental limit has only one more day. I will inform them of the installation error potential - see if that gets this moving.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:26 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thank you! Dealer is waiting for a loaner to come available to take the van back in again, I assume the service manager is thinking its a bad TIPM and there will be a multi-day wait - our rental limit has only one more day. I will inform them of the installation error potential - see if that gets this moving.

HAHA, they replaced your bulbs and are stumped, eh? Then the manager needs to get out in the shop more. This is almost 3 year old information. You REALLY need to find another dealer to take your car.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-29-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:25 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

The whole place supposedly never heard of that problem. I had to press hard to get this done. I'll spare you the drama...

So how do I find a good dealer with competent techs? I am striking out.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:25 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

The whole place supposedly never heard of that problem. I had to press hard to get this done. I'll spare you the drama...

So how do I find a good dealer with competent techs? I am striking out.

WOW, that's sad.

PM Dodgecares. That dept at FCA will set you up with someone.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:28 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TNtech
WOW, that's sad.

PM Dodgecares. That dept at FCA will set you up with someone.
Just FYI. First response was a link that just returns every dealership in my area. Second response, I asked about metrics so I could make an informed choice, and was told those are maintained but are internal - I was told all dealers are meeting or exceeding expectations. Then the rep offered to document my issue.

End of the day, still wondering how I find a service dept with good techs. :-/

Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

and was told those are maintained but are internal - I was told all dealers are meeting or exceeding expectations.

End of the day, still wondering how I find a service dept with good techs. :-/
It's internal because of the extreme shortage of qualified people due to the mass exodus of technicians in 2009. Moral across the board is down. Working for a manufacturer is like getting kicked in the nuts every day. People don't want to do it. I can appreciate the Cares people and the work they do, but they aren't in the jungle out here where the ugly is.

I can assure you that all dealer service depts. are NOT meeting or exceeding expectations. Google reviews is usually a good barometer. It's OUR worst average and the most informative IMO.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: joined the bad TIPM club this week