Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: My name is Joe, and I'm addicted to P0344...

Old 10-19-2016, 10:21 AM
joecornish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My name is Joe, and I'm addicted to P0344...

2006 Caravan 2.4l, 120k miles.

The timing belt broke while driving down the interstate. Mechanic replaced the timing belt and other associated things. After putting it all together, it was throwing P0344 - idles fine but stumbles when you give it gas. They replaced the cam and crank position sensors. Still throwing P3044. They said they checked all wiring and found no problems. The cam sensor appeared to be sending a good signal. They ran a lab scope on it and everything looked good. Their conclusion was bad PCM, so I took the vehicle back and replaced with an Autozone reman PCM. Still throwing P0344. I ordered an OEM cam sensor and installed, and still getting the code.

The odd thing is that you can clear the codes, and it throws the code as soon as you turn the key on, prior to cranking the engine.

Any ideas?

Old 10-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone inspected the cam ring gear? That's what the camshaft sensor reads to create a signal. This started with changing the timing belt correct? Is it installed correctly?

Old 10-20-2016, 09:22 AM
joecornish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Has anyone inspected the cam ring gear? That's what the camshaft sensor reads to create a signal. This started with changing the timing belt correct? Is it installed correctly?
I am not sure if the mechanic inspected the ring gear - I would assume not. This did start with changing the timing belt - I'm assuming the mechanic installed it correctly.

Could a bad cam ring or incorrect belt install cause it to throw 0344 before even turning the engine over?

Search this Thread