Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: No 4th Gear, bad Trans or TC

Old 11-21-2016, 06:56 AM
TRU
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No 4th Gear, bad Trans or TC

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L A604-41TE (4-speed)

I'll try to make this as short as possible.

I had a really bad vibration at high speeds and got a bad knocking sound when I turn on the AC. Turns out my flexplate was cracked all around the middle. I replaced it (knocking gone), then to be on the safe side I replaced the torque converter thinking it might had been damaged from all the vibration from the cracked flexplate. That's when all hell broke loose. It shifted funny and at the wrong time for a few days, checked the fluid level and it was clean and fine. After a few days the trans problem went away. About 2 months go by and I got a P0733 for 3rd gear ratio (there were no problems with 3rd gear while driving, which is weird that I got that code). Changed the shift pack, and problem gone. A month later I get a P0700, P0720 (Output speed sensor), P0734 (Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio), changed the shift pack again and both speed sensors, cleared the codes and drove it again and the trans slips as soon as I hit 40mph, is that 4th gear? No matter what I do, as soon as I hit that 40ish to hit the 4th gear, there's nothing there and the engine just revs up. Am I looking at something electrical, wires that might had got pinched while I had the trans down, or a bad torque converter?

I find it weird that I start getting transmission problems as soon as I change the torque converter. Kinda wish I would had left it alone now

If it turns out to be a bad TC, can somebody link me to a site to get a good quality brand, I'm sick of dealing with AutoZone and the bad parts they sell.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:09 PM
TRU
Amateur

Forgot to add that the valve body was changed and didnt fix it.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:27 AM
TRU
Amateur

No response? I guess I'm not the only one that's stumped with this.

Well at least can somebody link me to a wire schematic so I can see if the wires going to the shift solenoid that controls 4th gear (overdrive) is getting any kind of power. Maybe check the wires going to the trans brain box also.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:18 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BBB Industries provides free access to their database of Technical Service Bulletins (TSB’s) and Wiring Diagrams:

http://www.bbbind.com/tech_database.html

You need to register to access the information.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:38 PM
TRU
Amateur

Originally Posted by georgef
BBB Industries provides free access to their database of Technical Service Bulletins (TSB’s) and Wiring Diagrams:

http://www.bbbind.com/tech_database.html

You need to register to access the information.
Thank you very much. I registered and got the info. I'll post back with an update.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:31 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...or send me an email address to send diagrams to via a private message if you like.

I'm sure this has crossed your mind but did the slipping gear problems start after the second solenoid pack change? I'd bet you're sick of replacing new parts. 40 mph is around where the TC kicks out.

Found this just pokin around. It's for an 04 it should be very close to your 03. Could be something in there to spark an idea: http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/n...s_sgmldiag.pdf

Last edited by Cougar41; 12-04-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:51 AM
TRU
Amateur

Originally Posted by Cougar41
...or send me an email address to send diagrams to via a private message if you like.

I'm sure this has crossed your mind but did the slipping gear problems start after the second solenoid pack change? I'd bet you're sick of replacing new parts. 40 mph is around where the TC kicks out.

Found this just pokin around. It's for an 04 it should be very close to your 03. Could be something in there to spark an idea: http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/n...s_sgmldiag.pdf
The slipping started before I changed out the first shift pack. when i changed it out I also had to replace the wire harness because for some reason the bolt just kept turning but would come off the solenoid, so i replaced the pack and the harness and the problem went away, only to come back. changed the pack again with a new one and no change. thats why im guessing a wiring problem. trans shift through other gears fine, with no burn smell or metal parts on the magnet.

Thanks for the file, i'll go through it.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:46 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

What codes do you have now?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:33 AM
TRU
Amateur

The only codes that are coming up are P0700, and P0734. Everybody tells me change the speed sensors, but no change when I did. The weather here in the south has been rainy, cold and windy, so I couldn't really work on checking the wiring for the sensors since I have no garage.

I cleared the code and just drive in [3] to avoid that 4th gear. No codes popped back up yet since being cleared. No highway driving since I don't want to damage anything. Fluid still fresh. I only go around 40-50 mph to work. Also, no debris found in the pan with minimum metal on magnet. Other than 4th gear, no problems with shifting, and drives smooth.

Last edited by TRU; 12-13-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:13 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Okay, here is what may have happen. The clutch pack is out of specs due to a broken snap ring and causing you not to have 4th gear. So if you drive the vehicle and shifts fine thru the first 3 gears and feels like you are in neutral when you shift to 4th gear. Then you most likely have a problem with the clutch pack. This means the transmission will need to come apart.

Search this Thread