Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: ABS light 1998 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:33 PM
dodge15QQ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light 1998 Grand Caravan

Have an ABS light on. Found the left front speed sensor was damaged. Replaced it but the light is still on. I've tried three different code readers and none of them can read the ABS codes. Even tried Autozone. Upon start up no ABS light but when start driving light comes on. I've noticed headlights flicker when the light comes on. If turn off van and restart no ABS light until begin moving about 10 MPH. It does this every time. No light until begin moving. Any ideas?

Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

code readers do not access chassis codes. you need a full function scan tool. get the code read and post it here. the fault is probably from a missing wheel speed sensor signal...you can view each wss signal with the scan tool.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:48 PM
dodge15QQ

Thanks for the info. The only place to have the codes read is the dealer, $100! After some searching I learned you can use a multimeter to check resistance of the speed sensors. All four checked out around 1.1 kohms. Any idea?

Old 12-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough without a code but there's things you can do. Sure acting like a wheel sensor but could be the wiring from the sensor to the controller. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Now you can disconnect the sensors and jump the two pins together then disconnect the controller and check for continuity back to the sensor. Other than that inspect the controller connector for corrosion or damage and verify all 5 fuses are good.

Sensor pin ID at controller:

LF - 4 to 11
RF - 3 to 18
LR - 10 to 2
RR - 1 to 17

I've seen ABS code readers for $50.

Last edited by Cougar41; 12-04-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:29 PM
dodge15QQ

I've tried 3 different abs code readers with no luck. I did notice the reluctor rings/wheels in the front are a bit rusty and a few teeth were plugged up. I cleaned them but a few teeth are a bit damaged. This may be the cause. I'm not sure if codes would be able to distinguish between a bad sensor or damaged teeth. Thoughts?

Old 12-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No it will flag a sensor fault then it's up to the tech to determine if it's the sensor, wiring or a bad ring. The sensor reads the ring spaces and teeth. I don't know how much damage it takes.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:12 PM
primem
Record Breaker

any independent shop can read abs dtc. get it read and it will save you 3/4 of the work.

if the system uses passive abs sensors you can check the resistance of the sensors. 1.1ohms sounds about right. you can also check for a/c voltage output. connector you meter across the sensor pins and spin the wheel...you should see 0.1volts...the faster the tires spins the higher the voltage. inspect for any rust on the wss mounting surface...anything that increases the gap reduces the signal strength and cause signal dropout.

Continuity checks of the wiring from the abs module to the wss may be required.

if its an active wheel speed sensor, it cannot be tested this way.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:30 PM
dodge15QQ

Was finally able to read the codes. Three problems. Left front sensor, right front sensor, and pump failure. Left front was damaged sensor. Right front was rusty reluctor ring. I was able to fix these two problems. I live in the rust belt and a common problem with the pump is wiring harness corrosion. I checked the harness and it appears to be good. I'm having trouble finding a pump. I'm not sure if new pumps are available. A used pump is probably not in any better shape. Thoughts?

Old 12-16-2016, 02:33 PM
primem
Record Breaker

if you can get a cheap used one from picknpull i would go that way. My 04 car with enhanced stability control; pump and module prices out at $4000 new from the dealer. pnp used maybe $40.