Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 caravan swap whole drive train?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:27 AM
hertfordnc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 caravan swap whole drive train?

my 2002 caravan blew an engine. A friend offered me identical van that he totaled, for an engine donor.

THen I got looking at the recommended methods for engine removal and it got me wondering if I could just swap the entire drive train- engine, trans, axles, etc as a single unit?

What am I missing?

thanks

Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

Required tools,lifts.Your going too get it up at least 5 ft.Leave the tires on so you can roll it around.The donor needs just the frontend off the ground, drop all the nuts and bolts and hardware,leave the tires on again to move.It take just about 8 hrs from start to finish.Good luck.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 AM
hertfordnc

SO you're saying it's not a bad way to go instead of removing the engine/trans?

Five feet seems a little high but I can do it.

What about steering? pull the column form the steering box/gear or just drop the box and disconnect the hoses?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

Everything thats attached to firewall to motor,take as onepiece ifpossible.And if you can ,do this on level as possible ground. Your subframe that the body sets on is what you want to take.Impact tools, air or electric .Look at the project closely,take pic if needed.And 2 extra hands.If you have doubts check with local shops or even tech schools close by for help or even to do the job.The 5 ft Igave for ground to project was just random,just make sure that clearence is good for the extraction of unit removel.Get Busy..........

Old 03-23-2017, 08:00 PM
hertfordnc

SLight change in the project.

Turns out the donor is a 3.8

Is this still a practical project? There is no cost involved. If i don't make use of the parts then everything is just scrap.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

hertfordnc With tape measure in hand,everything that mounts,attaches or supports with same width length.YES....