Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Arm rest rotates too far down

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:31 PM
Dikeryn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arm rest rotates too far down

The driver's seat armrest rotates too far down. It goes up to the proper spot when compared with the passenger side. When putting it down, it just doesn't stop where it should and the front of it is about 3" lower than it should be. It is a bit of a pain, because not only is it too low to be used, but it is in the way of the seat belt and needs lifted to buckle and unbuckle. Has anyone encountered this before? Can it be fixed?

Old 03-14-2017, 03:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Most likely the stop has broken inside the seat. Replace the seat or take the seat apart to see what's broke and if a part can be purchased to repair it.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Dikeryn

How do I remove the back of the seat back? I assume it is clipped in and I don't want to damage or break anything.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Dikeryn

I ran across a post in another thread that happened to tell how to remove the seat back panel.
Carefully disengage the three J-type retaining hooks that secure the top of the seat back panel to the rear of the seat back.
Slide the seat back panel to one side of the seat back and push on the four side tabs until they disengage.
Lift the seat back panel upward to disengage the two lower retaining hooks and remove the panel from the seat back.
I did that and was dismayed to find that I couldn't see what I was hoping to see as the seat frame blocks any view of where and how the armrest mounts. I got my hands on a set of Torx drivers and am hoping the biggest one is large enough that I'll be able to remove the armrest. I'm hoping I'll be able to see something from the outside that might clue me in to what might be wrong. I'm still hoping someone might have another idea though.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Dikeryn

Ok, I'll admit I feel a bit silly that I didn't think about what the "issue" is. Apparently, most people like to be reclined (quite) a bit while driving. I like to be sitting up though, so I have my seat back a little back from straight up. I also like to be able to see out of the driver door window (I'm 6'3"). That rotates the arm rest down quite a bit. I kept looking at the passenger seat and its level armrest and never thought to put the seats to the same position to compare. When I finally did that, I saw that everything is "fine". Now I'm trying to decide what to do. I can put a block in the armrest that is sized so it will stop the armrest at level when the seat is adjusted for my preference, but it will be way up when my wife is driving it and she has her seat reclined how she likes it. She doesn't drive it that often though as it is my daily driver. She really only drives it on trips. I wish the stop had a couple positions that it could be put in to compensate for this.