Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

01 Caravan P0401 EGR insuff flow

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 PM
mph
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Caravan P0401 EGR insuff flow

I have a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L 78000 miles. It has posted a P0401 "EGR insufficent flow" code. I pull the EGR apart and cleaned including the tube. I didn't really find that it was dirty. Can someone explain in detail how the computer determines what the flow volume is? Ford's have a DPFE sensor which appears to be a direct input as to what the flow is. A dodge does not have one of these sensors. If I knew what inputs the dodge computer was using I might know where else to look for this issue.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:19 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: 01 Caravan P0401 EGR insuff flow

The code is EGR system failure as Chrysler states. The PCM uses the oxygen sensors to determine flow rate. I don't think that it even determines flow rate, it watches the signals to see if they change a predetmined amount.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:52 AM
proram

Thought I'd jump in on this one. My 2001 Grand Caravan (3.3/ auto w/ 73,000 miles) just started spewing codes too. The first round I got P0401 (Insufficient EGR flow) like you did. I disassembled the EGR, tube, and elbow to the head and cleaned them all. There was a fair amount of crud inside. I reset the comp. and had nearly two dys of MIL free driving. Now I have a P0403 (EGR CIRCUIT).
Symptoms are minor. Slight roughness at idle. Occasional stumble off idle. It acts like there's a problem wth the EGR but its clean and the plunger moves freely. Any ideas on my next move? I could throw parts at it until I get it but I was hoping someone had done the job before so I could benefit from the knowledge. Thanks for all replies.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:11 PM
proram

UPDATE:

After dropping $85.00 on the dealer only fookin EGR assembly, my MIL seems to be cured. Thanks to brandoncrone for the tip.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:01 PM
b777_uk_2000

It must be about time to resurect this one

My wife has a friend and her 3.8L V6 Caravan SE started to display check engine soon. So I plugged in my OBDII reader and got the code P0401 as above and have been trying to figure out what this could be. In reading through the above, other posts and the chilton manual I have come to the conclusion that there are a number of expensive bits, anyone of which, could need replacing.

As such I am wondering what was done to resolve the above conditions if you guys are still around? Did you replace the O2 sensor or the EGR valve?

What I am interested in is trying to find the most likely problem and go for a shotgun approach. I have no special equipment for diagnosis other than my trusty OBDII and would really appreciate any help. The girl can't afford to take it into a garage to have the work done and I can replace parts and enjoy doing it but obviously don't wnat to replace a few $60 parts and find that this doesn't solve the problem (I know this is always a possibility but find forums are excellent places to find out what other people had to have replaced).

Any help would bereally appreciated.

Thanks in advance

James[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM
jljeeper

I have a 2009 Town & Country (I know its a chrysler) MIL for insufficient EGR flow 6 times and 6 times to the dealer. They cant fix it. They repl the EGR twice. Puts some tyraps to pull some wires away from the engine for heat possibility? and now they bypassed some wires from the EGR to ECU. I cant wait to see how that job looks. They called it a "wire overlay" If its done with tape and crimp butt connectors I will be quite upset. Van has 18K miles and has hacked wiring. They don't know if this will fix it.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:24 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jljeeper
I have a 2009 Town & Country (I know its a chrysler) MIL for insufficient EGR flow 6 times and 6 times to the dealer. They cant fix it. They repl the EGR twice. Puts some tyraps to pull some wires away from the engine for heat possibility? and now they bypassed some wires from the EGR to ECU. I cant wait to see how that job looks. They called it a "wire overlay" If its done with tape and crimp butt connectors I will be quite upset. Van has 18K miles and has hacked wiring. They don't know if this will fix it.
What engine you have? 3.3/3.8 or 4.0?
If EGR valve has been replaced, maybe the probem is the Tube is clog.
also, there is a TSB for 09+, it is a software update for PCM

TSB NUMBER:
18-017-09 REV. A

GROUP:
Vehicle Performance

DATE: June 11, 2009

SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination For P0404 - EGR Position Sensor Performance
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new
software.
MODELS:
**2008** - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Voyager
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built with a 3.3L or 3.8L engine (Sales Codes
EGV or EGL) built before May 11, 2009 (MDH 0511XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may complain of a MIL illumination. Upon further investigation the
Technician may find that P0404 - EGR Position Sensor Performance has been set.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:40 PM
jljeeper
Default FLASH done

Originally Posted by steak59
What engine you have? 3.3/3.8 or 4.0?
If EGR valve has been replaced, maybe the probem is the Tube is clog.
also, there is a TSB for 09+, it is a software update for PCM

TSB NUMBER:
18-017-09 REV. A
GROUP:

Vehicle Performance
DATE: June 11, 2009

SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination For P0404 - EGR Position Sensor Performance
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new
software.
MODELS:
**2008** - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Voyager
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built with a 3.3L or 3.8L engine (Sales Codes
EGV or EGL) built before May 11, 2009 (MDH 0511XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may complain of a MIL illumination. Upon further investigation the

Technician may find that P0404 - EGR Position Sensor Performance has been set.

I have the 3.3 engine. According to the dealer they did say they had to do a "reflash" at the second appointment. I did not ask what it pertained to, I assume it was related to EGR. They are now working under the direction of "factory service engineers" Odd that the tube could be pluggerd with such low miles but it is true that most of our driving is 4-5 miles to work so its not the healthiest type of driving for an engine. Barely warms up.

Thanks for your input, If the MIL comes back I will ask about the tube being clogged.

Quick Reply: 01 Caravan P0401 EGR insuff flow