Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Got some dodge problems ~!!!

Old 12-23-2005, 07:10 PM
HT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some dodge problems ~!!!

Since more people are in here anyways...
Okay here's the problem.

Our '97 dodge grand caravan awd 3.8L is going into limp mode when ever trying to accelerate fast like merging into a highway and when going up a hill and giving it more gas it goes into limp mode too. It only starts doing that after the minivan is warmed and driven for a few miles. It drives fine if you're very light on the throttle.

check engine light comes on and I checked it and it says "speed sensor A circuit" wtf is that? Is it the sensor or wiring harness or a part of the sensor?
I check at auto zone for the speed sensor price and it's $17.99, but I don't even know where the speed sensor is located on the minivan's transmission. Plus it's damn hard to even try to track down where it's located because the engine bay is so tight and cramp.

I unhooked the battery and hooked it back on and the check engine light goes away but comes right back on when you try to accelerate up a hill or merge into a highway.

Is it the speed sensor or is it the wiring or something else that's causing it to do that?

Can you guys show me or explain where the speed sensor is located?

If someone helps me fix this problem in person I'll give you $50.00.
No dodge newbies please.....

My cell 651-442-3284
I'm in St.Paul, Minnesota

Old 12-23-2005, 07:17 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Got some dodge problems ~!!!

There is no need to pay us for help, but tips are appreciated, lol It could be a bad wire or the speed sensor. I think there are only 2 plugs on the trans, the speed sensor and the reverse switch. the speed sensor is gonna be the one closest to the cv joints on the output of the trans.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:16 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: Got some dodge problems ~!!!

ORIGINAL: casper

There is no need to pay us for help, but tips are appreciated, lol It could be a bad wire or the speed sensor. I think there are only 2 plugs on the trans, the speed sensor and the reverse switch. the speed sensor is gonna be the one closest to the cv joints on the output of the trans.
Your thinking of a 3 speed, this van has a 4 speed which has two speed sensors, a solenoid pack connector and a connector for the gear position switch.

HT You need to replace the speed sensor closest to the engine. There are two of these sensors (both are different but look the same). Speed sensor A (known to Chrysler as the input speed sensor) is the one closest to the engine on the front of the transmission. You need to remove the air intake from the engine and the cover to the air filter. Then you will need to disconnect the solenoid pack connector (5/16 or 8mm bolt down through the center needs to be loosened up). Then disconnect the sensor that is located between two rubber hoses, and remove it with a 1 inch socket. Upon reinstallation don't overtighten the sensor as it will break since it is made out of plastic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got some dodge problems ~!!!