Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

rear main seal replacement on 96 caravan

Old 01-09-2006, 12:28 AM
brktime3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear main seal replacement on 96 caravan

I have a 96 Caravan w/2.4, it appears that the rear main seal is leaking, looking for some info or guidance on how to replace the seal. Do you have to lift the engine to get the oil pan off or do you brace it and remove the mount underneath it?
Appreciate any help that I can get.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: rear main seal replacement on 96 caravan

Neither, you have to remove the transmission from the vehicle to replace the rear main seal. Are you sure that it is the seal and not the headgasket?

Old 01-09-2006, 11:35 AM
brktime3
Default RE: rear main seal replacement on 96 caravan

When I was looking at it, it appears there was some leakage from the upper half of the enging but nothing that appears to be fresh, when I got under the van, right were the engine and tran are connected it is leaking from there when the engine in running. On the face of the trans. righ by the oil pan there is what appears to be like a baffle or shield of some sort, the oil leaks right out from begind that. Is there a test I can do to verify that it is the rear main and not the head gasket?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear main seal replacement on 96 caravan