Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101

Old 08-11-2011, 12:20 PM
gefcore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy resistor pack removal

If you maen the resistor block on the firewall just grab the sucker with 442 channel locks and yank, you are committed to replacement at this point. Takes ten seconds.

Originally Posted by Shoulda Gotta Chevy
I pitty those who spent hours replacing the blower relay. While the location was stupid, it is possible to reach behind the bracket supporting the fuseblock and get a finger or two on it. It's the only relay there. I just moved it back and forth and worked it free of the firewall then dropped it through the opening in the bracket. In my case, I popped open the relay and the contact had stuck open. I freed it up and walla!!!!! I have blower motor function. Repair time was 3 minutes!!!
Of course I only broke even with the hours of troubleshooting I was doing without a schematic and without knowing the battery in my DVOM was bad. LOL. Anyway, try to reach through the bracket before dissassembling the driver's side of your van. Good Luck.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:28 PM
bates291
Red face Heater help

I have a question. My problem is similar but different. My AC works, the fan works, but the heater does not blow hot air. My question is this, what are the most likely causes of this type of problem and where should I start to resolve this problem? Thank you

New owner of a 1996 Dodge Caravan

Old 08-28-2011, 04:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Have you check the cooling system to see if it is low? Two other problems if you don't get warm/hot air would be the thermostat stuck open or the rec door in not moving to allow warm air in the heater box.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 PM
bates291
Talking Not blowing

Thank you for responding so quickly. I read the answer to my fiance and his question is "What the f@#% is a 'rec door'? lol No matter how many questions I answer for him he always has to know more. Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recirculate

Old 08-29-2011, 01:11 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Sorry, that is the door that allows heat from the heater core or shut off the hot air coming from the heater core. Giving you the cold air. Thanks cougar

Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 AM
GTCaravan
Default heater working temporarily.

I had no heat this winter and replaced the resistor. It still didnt work. then I rapped on the fan box under the glove box about 5 times and found out that it works. all five settings. I realize that there is a time that this will eventually falter, but for now its a quick fix. Now when it fails. I just rap on it 5 times( like the number matters) and it works again.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:44 AM
bates291
Cool

Originally Posted by master tech
Sorry, that is the door that allows heat from the heater core or shut off the hot air coming from the heater core. Giving you the cold air. Thanks cougar
Well we bought a CHILTON's Manual for our vehicle but it doesn't seem to help with our little problem. So now I have a couple more questions for you. Where is the rec valve? And is it electronically controlled or lever controlled? Thanks!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes its controlled by a actuator. I believe if you do a search in the tizzy and other section and you find the information there.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 AM
bates291
Default Clueless in Washington

Originally Posted by master tech
Yes its controlled by a actuator. I believe if you do a search in the tizzy and other section and you find the information there.
All right a new question. What is a tizzy? I will look through the manual again. I really appreciate your time and assistance. I feel like an idiot having to ask so many questions. Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101