Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 GC SE - Tranny Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Rawyzf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 GC SE - Tranny Issue

Hello,

Today was the first time this happened....but I want to check and see if the caravan is trying to tell me something.

While on the highway going about 70mph, all the sudden it felt like the tranny was shuddering. I instantly let off the gas and costed for a few seconds. After that, it was fine, but I was only 1 mile for work...so I didn't really give it a chance to act up again. It almost felt like the van shifted down and up and a few times really quickly when this happened.

I haven't changed the fluid in about a year and a half, so I will have that done really soon.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan

EDIT - 3.0 v6.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:07 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: 97 GC SE - Tranny Issue

I think that your tranny is trying to tell you something. If it is a 3 speed, that the classic symptom that the clutches are starting to slip. Also check the fluid and see what color it is and the level of the fluid.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Rawyzf
Professional

Thanks for the reply.

For some reason I think it's a 4 speed. It only says D-2-1 in the cluster, but I think it has an OD also.

I checked the fluid on my lunch break yesterday and it was full. It was a little dark in color though, so I dropped it off at the dealership and having them change it since it's due for an oil change anyway.

On the drive home from work yesterday, it didn't act up at all....so I am kind of puzzled.

-Ryan

Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Rawyzf
Professional

I created a new post, problem is back after 3 days of driving it after the fluid change at the dealership.

Think it could be sensor related?

Quick Reply: 97 GC SE - Tranny Issue