Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Extended Warranty and Other Questions:

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:12 PM
crazymjb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty and Other Questions:

Hi, we have a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport(3.3L v6) with 60k miles which will be replaced in the next 6 months with an 07 Acura MDX or Lexus GX470.

This van has been nothing but trouble, and we recently took it in for another multi-thousand dollar work up, over the summer we had 2k in suspension work done. We have the extended warranty(third party) to 70K miles, its the CC one, whatever that means. I was wondering which of the following problems it will cover:

-Warped Rotors
-Seatbelt Retractors
-Motor/tranny mounts
-ABS computer and sensors
-Other brake issues
-Rear lift gate sticking
-Both sliding doors out of alignment(very visably sagging)
-Various Rattles
-sticking break light button with audible click
-loose driver window assembly

We took it in yesterday to have the stuff fixed, but there was a problem which held off everything regarding the loss of our information at this third party warranty company.

While there they told us we need an entire new ABS computer. They also found we need a new crank seel, oil pan gasket, and water pump. I don't know if any of that is actually true(I am 16 and take mechanics courses) as the oil level has been steady with no leaks in our driveway, and the temperature has remainded perfect with the 50/50 level stable.

Finally they told us one thing was normal which I don't believe to be normal. When the car is started in coldweather, without giving it gas the RPM jumps up to 3K and makes a slipping sound as if the Serpentine belt hasnt caught(also recently replaced). The car never used to do this. I do not know if this engine has an electric or mechanical choke, but I think its possible that when first startedthe choke is staying on too long and gas is being poured in, and when it opens up the excess fuel causes the RPM to jump, just a guess.

Also, what is included in the 60K tune up? They went 600 for it, but we are replacing the waterpump so the antifreeze has to go anyway, the oil pan is off so that is being filled, the brakes are being done so the tires will be rotated? Do they normally change the ATF too?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Old 02-12-2006, 12:52 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Extended Warranty and Other Questions:

Have the shop fix ONLY what the warranty will pay for.I you are truly going to trade the van for another car,continuing to spend money on this one is a total waste.
The fuel injected engines do not use chokes.The electronic fuel injection enriches the mixture for starting and leans it out untill the engine is a operating temp.
At 60,000 miles and 5 years old how did this vehicle get in such bad shape?

Old 02-13-2006, 10:15 PM
crazymjb
Professional

Wow, I feel stupid having completly overlooked the non-usage of the choke(like you have no idea, I could build either with no instructions). The engine uses a richer mixture when cold because the air is more dense, correct? So, could the temp be tricking the engine into thinking that it needed to enrich the mixture longer and more than is neccesary?

We want to keep it operating safely though, and somewhat reliably. 7 months is a decent wait, and that is considering we are able to get the vehicle when it first comes into the dealership, there have been waits >8 months on previous models.

P.S, I am 16, and when I drive it I will bring it to about 6K RPM, but the problems started long before that. Probably somewhat related to my mom having it regularly shift at 4k due to crappy pick up.

We are truly going to trade it. We were initially going to do it a while ago but decided to hold off until the warranty was gone and until the new MDX was released.

Mike

Old 02-17-2006, 11:49 PM
crazymjb
Professional

Today we brought in for service and after 6 hours of work its done.

Does that amount of time sound right for replace a crank seal, water pump, power steering pump, oil pan gasket, and doing the brakes?

Also, not only has the ticking noise(bearing) stayed, there is another louder more prominent ticking and the engine still revs up on starting.

They also said they cleaned the carb, do they mean intake butterfly? no carb on this engine(reminds me of when best buy said they checked my keyboard mouse and monitor when I didn't give them a laptop).

Thanks,

Mike

Old 02-22-2006, 03:03 PM
chopper
Veteran

Some untrustworhty shops will say the exact things they did.This is to see if you know anything about what they are about to do to you.No mistake will go unnoticed!!!Lions,wolves,hyenas,and cougars all have lived for millenia by finding the weakest victims.If you aren't able to talk to the service manager in the language of automobiles they will rape you everytime you cross the doorstep.We've all seen the commercial where the tow truck pulls up to a guy stranded in the desert and he turns and say's "I think there's something broken in there".
The best way to not look like a prey item is to learn about all things mechanical.Get a shop book for every vehicle you own and read the thing.Subscribe to Popular Mechanics,they have lots of articles about vehicle maintanence,their website has a lot of info also.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:55 PM
crazymjb
Professional

I am an automotive student at my school and have read every automotive article on howstuffworks and in pop-mech, so I can tell if they are BSing me. Unfortunatly my mother and father know pretty much nothing about cars, and they are the ones that take them in. I told my father to let me go in an talk to the service manager but he basically acts like they know more about cars than me so its useless, which they likely do, but I know enough that I could corner them if they didn't fix what they said they would. Also, they are telling us that the doors are not covered by warrenty(they hang low), my dad says hes not going to fight it, I have no idea why? I mean, if we bought an extended warrenty they damn better fix any mechanical problems on the car, right?

Mike

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty and Other Questions: